The Sea of Monsters Review & Flash Contest!

Saturday, February 27, 2010

It's no secret that I loved Percy Jackson from the first time I opened The Lightning Thief, so you can imagine how excited I was to start The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan.



After a summer spent trying to prevent a catastrophic war among the Greek gods, Percy Jackson is finding his seventh-grade school year unnervingly quiet. His biggest problem is dealing with his new friend, Tyson, a six-foot-three, mentally challenged homeless kid who follows Percy everywhere, making it hard for Percy to have any normal friends. But things don't stay quiet for long.

Percy soon discovers there is trouble at Camp Half-Blood: the magical borders that protect Half-Blood Hill have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and the only safe haven for demigods is on the verge of being overrun by mythological monsters. To save the camp, Percy needs the help of his best friend, Grover, who has been taken prisoner on an island somewhere in the Sea of Monsters, the dangerous waters Greek heroes have sailed for millennia. Only today, the Sea of Monsters goes by a new name: The Bermuda Triangle.

Together with his friends, Percy must retrieve the Golden Fleece from the Island of the Cyclopes or Camp Half-Blood will be destroyed. But first, Percy will learn a stunning new secret about his family, one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.
Taken from GoodReads.


The Sea of Monsters picks up where The Lightning Thief left off. Percy is nearly done with his school year, and for the first time, it seems as though he might make it entire year without being expelled. Naturally, his excitement is a bit too hasty because a brutal attack on the last day forces Percy, Annabeth, and their new cyclops "friend," Tyson, who might just have a lot more in common than anyone knows. When they escape to Camp Half-Blood though, the camp's defenses are failing, Thalia's protective pine tree is dying, Chiron has been fired, and Grover...well who knows where Grover is now that he's searching for Pan? Percy and Annabeth must find a way to save the camp, or watch as their world falls to ruin around them.

This was definitely a fun book to read, but it wasn't as fast-paced as The Lightning Thief was. And, to be honest, though Grover was in the book, I missed his ridiculous banter fueling the story. I was, however, very pleased to see a progression in the relationship between Percy and Annabeth. One of the most unsettling things for me was the lack of face-time for the gods in this book. I really wish Poseidon or Zeus would be more involved in the story. I did enjoy the twist with Hermes though!

Despite being a bit too slow for my taste in the beginning, The Sea of Monsters ends brilliantly, and I can't wait to get my paws on The Titan's Curse now! I'm going to have to read this entire series...soon...though I hate when series come to an end. I digress. I give this book a very strong 4.5 out of 5, and I can't wait to read the next book!

------------------------------------------------------------------


As promised, I'm having a little flash contest for all of you, and yes, you're going to have to work for it. I'm giving away my signed copy of Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick because I already own a copy, and I've read it, and I'm sure someone will appreciate this even more than I do!



So, I propose a little contest...I'm working on editing down my manuscript, and I want to change the title. I have no idea what to call it though, so that's where you come into play. I'm going to post a little blurb about it, and here are your rules:

Post a title you think is fitting for my book. Each title you post (up to five) gains you another entry. That means you can have up to 5 entries total. When the contest ends, I will put all the entries in a hat, and draw the winning entry. The person who wrote that entry will win the signed copy of Hush, Hush. Now, from all the titles you give me, I will choose the one I like best, and yes, that means one of you will have made the title for my book! Sounds like fun...right?! (It helps me, too, so this is a win-win, baby!) You have until next Friday night (10:00 PM MST), March 5th to enter.


Ok, this is the blurb for my book:

Emma Snow just discovered she can play with fire - and not get burned. Plagued by the fear of being ordinary, Emma always tried to excel at everything, but without warning, Emma is thrust into a supernatural world where time bends, objects fly without wings, and Mother Nature is a little girl. Armed with six others like her, Emma must choose to embrace the backlash of the adventurous life she so desperately hoped for, or die trying to escape it.


Ready?!?!??! GO!!!

15 comments:

  1. I'm not entering the contest because I already own Hush, Hush. Your book blurb sounds really good though. Hope you find a great title for it.

    I enjoyed the Percy Jackson series and I waited to read them until I saw the movie trailer. By that point all 5 books were published and I'm very glad because I get impatient to read the next book. I pretty much read them one after another. The first one was fantastic but I also liked The Last Olympian a lot. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Percy Jackson series! I think you will be happy with the third book in the series, I liked it more than the second book.

    Your book sounds exciting! Definitely something I would read. Now for title names. I'm not very good at this, but I'll give it a shot.

    1. A Fiery Snow
    2. Playing With Fire
    3. Girl on Fire
    Okay, that's all I have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Percy Jackson and The Olympians is a great series. Each book is better than the last. My favorite is definitely The Last Olympian.

    The blurb for your book sounds amazing, definitely something I would want to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the whole series and I'm glad you liked this one! I can never stop myself from entering a contest! I like your story blurb! Here are some of the titles i came up with. they aren't the best but i hope you like them!

    1.The Fire In My Soul
    2.No Escaping The Fire
    3.The Fire In Me
    4.Catching The Fire
    5.The Fire Burning Inside

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of your book! I'm not feeling very inspired right now but I'll have a think about titles & come back if I come up with any good ones :o)

    I've not read the Sea Monsters book yet but I loved The Ligntning Thief & am looking forward to it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blurb is exciting and I would love to win Hush Hush here are some possible title

    1. Ignition
    2. Emma Ignited
    3. Playing the Flame Game
    4. The World Beyond the Flame
    5. A Fiery Feat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool :) contest...
    I feel as though I need more to come up with a name.
    So far all I can think of is...
    Emma burns
    (not an entry)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read the Rick Riordan books.

    As to a title... One thing struck me.

    "Fire and Snow"

    Great contest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you liked SOM!!
    And you're observation about the gods is spot-on...and I have to say, you really don't see that many of them at once until THE LAST OLYMPIAN. Buuuuut I can tell you that you'll be very happy with the Percy-Annabeth progression :P
    On to THE TITAN'S CURSE!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I promise you that Captivate is way better than Need-there's more drama in it! xD

    That synopsis of yours sounds awesome! I would read your book, most definetely! ^^

    I'm trying to think up some spiffy titles for your book...

    1.) Brilliant Fire
    2.) Blinding Fire
    3.).... Blue Flame

    Argh! I didn't mean for ALL of the titles to start with the letter B. Forgive me, my brain's not so creative right now. -.-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I'm new to you blog. I read this post and figured I would suggest some titles for you:

    1. Snow on Fire
    2. Unordinary
    3. Fiery Snow

    Of course if you have specific names picked out for the group of 6 people or the supernatural world or certain powers etc. etc. those are also good to be worked into a title.

    Good luck with the book writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont even read the lightning thief yet!but your review on the 2nd series makes me cant wait to have those! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow your maniscript sounds amazing, I want to read it. For a name: mmmm...remember it's sunday my brain is not working properly! So..
    - Firegirl

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've wanted to start reading that series for a long time. Everyone seems to love it!

    1. The Unveiling
    2. Don't play with fire
    3. Flaming Changes
    4. Melting Snow

    I can't think of any other title.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would to win this!!
    Thankyou!! :D:D:D

    1. Fire Natural or 2. The Fire Natural Girl

    -Lindsay

    lindsay15photo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover