Beastly Review

Monday, September 13, 2010


I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature who walks upright – a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I’m talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It’s no deformity, no disease. And I’ll stay this way forever – ruined – unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and a perfect life. And then, I’ll tell you how I became perfectly beastly.
Taken from GoodReads.

Beastly follows the story of Kyle Kingsbury, the popular, good-looking, conceited, arrogant jerk who has always been taught that those with good lucks and class (in the monetary sense of the word) can, and will, always get what they want. So, with the school dance fast-approaching, Kyle is a shoe-in to win Prince, and his queen is none other than the popular and beautiful Sloane Hagen. In an attempt to be both funny and get payback for being called out by Kendra Hilferty, he invites her to the dance but stands her up, unleashing her wrath, a curse, and the possibility that Kyle might just have to find his beauty beneath the surface.

I'll be honest. I've never been a fan of those classic Disney fairy tales. I read Beastly because I want to see the movie, and I always read the books first (because they're better). I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed this book, despite the fact that Kyle starts off as a hideously cruel jackass snob. Alex Flinn did a great job transforming the classic Beauty and the Beast tale into one that fits our modern times. She cleverly uses internet chats to interweave fairy tales and bring the characters, mainly Kyle - the Beast, to life.

Beastly started off well, getting into the action and creating strong emotions (in my case - disgust) towards Kyle. Once the curse is set and Beastly is set in motion though, I found the story lagged a bit until Lindy was brought into play. I understood he was trapped and a transformation was taking place, but I felt it was a bit drawn out. Nevertheless, the writing remained fluid, clear, and easy-to-read throughout.

I give Beastly a 4 out of 5 only because it started to creep along halfway through. I would recommend this to fans of the classic tale, those who love YA, and anyone looking for a good, sweet romance. Oh, and as a quick closing note...the Beast in the upcoming film, Beastly, looks nothing like he does in the book. I'm pissed. And now I'm over it.

25 comments:

  1. That's weird how the Beast looks different in the movie... I just thought the way they made him up for the film is how it was supposed to be in the book. That is a little weird, although I think the way they changed him is interesting. Anyway, I've been meaning to pick this up. As soon as my library hold list goes down, I'm definitely going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Melissa! awesome review. I liked this one too, but I do agree, it dragged a bit. Not sure about the upcoming film, though! I wish they hadn't cast vanessa hudgens. I know lindy's not supposed to be a looker, but geez!
    Lol, have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when they do that! There's a reason the book is getting made into a movie, it's because it's has a following and people like it. Why must you drastically change how a character looks? Okay, didn't mean to rant in the comments:) Great review, I actually didn't know this was a book. You know i love YA and romance, so I'll give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great...thanks for reviewing it; I'm always looking for good YA titles to recommend that are not so dark...this sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the trailer for this movie a while ago, I knew I had to read this book. So it's now on my tbr list. I think I will read it when the movie hits the theatre here in Holland, and as everyone might know can take a while. So for now I will read the reviews and hope for the best. It does sounds nice, noting too great! ;) Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beastly is right up my alley. There have been some many other books but it's always been one I've been meaning to grab since Beauty and The Beast is my favorite fairytale. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read this too, for the same reason you did. I want to see the movie, and the book has to come first. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favorite reads this year. So much so that I am going to use it and Flinn's A Kiss in Time for a Fairy tale reading and writing unit with my students. I cannot wait to see the movie.

    I also have Cloaked pre-ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really excited to see this movie, but I wasn't a fan of the book. The idea and storyline was good, but I just did not enjoy the writing. I felt like it was directed toward much younger readers and I couldn't really get into it.

    I'm happy you enjoyed it though. The movie looks really good. I just wish it was coming up sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have me so wanting to read this book! I think it sounds great! Can't wait to get a copy of it.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha thanks! I was working on the reviews for the first two books while I reading Mockingjay. So when I finished I just posted all the reviews at once =) It seemed like the easiest thing to do. I love Beauty and the Beast, but I was hesitant as to how this book would compare to the movie. You're review gave me the push I needed to move it up on my list of to-reads. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weird, I am sure I had this tab open at one point, now where did it go? It always seems to happen.

    Read about thsi book and that movie, and it sure made me wanna read the book. And I am happy to hear it is good :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had not heard of this book before. It sounds good. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for commenting on my blog I'm sorry you didn't like "Finishing Touches". May be you can come back and share with us what you didn't like about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm... maybe I DO need to pick up this book. I do love a good beauty and the beast story. I do want to see the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review. I reallllly liked this one. I can't wait for the movie. What do you think of the casting?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, not only do I want to read the book, but since there's a movie, I want to watch that too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oooh, i really want to read this before i see the movie too!! the movie release keeps getting pushed back. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed your review! I have been wondering if I should read this one or not...didn't know there was going to be a movie. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hehe. The purpose of my reading Beastly was because I want to see the movie, too. Like, I really really do. Alex Pettyfer is *omg*worthy. Haha. Anyway. I also rated it 4 stars on Goodreads. I liked the premise...and I'm totally excited to see the movie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will have to check this one out. Thanks for review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. SOunds really good! I should read this book before I watch´the movie! I stillhave a few months, right?;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked this one, especially because it was narrated by the beast! I thought it was fun and clever, but agree that it started to drag a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just finished this one, I need to write my review.  I am on your side, I found the book, despite its predictably factor, be very entertaining.  I always love it when an author has the power to write a character which I so deeply loath - Kyle!  I think he totally deserved to be transformed into a beast. He was just evil to the bone!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover