Let's Talk: Favourite Childhood Books

Saturday, January 28, 2012




Let's Talk is what I like to call a semi-regular feature here at i swim for oceans. Does it happen every week? No. Will there be weeks when it happens more than once? Probably. Can you set your calendar by it? Heck no. Here on the little old blog, I like to host some of my very own discussion posts because, well, I like to converse with you all.

And so, Let's Talk will feature questions or prompts, which I will answer, too. Love it or hate it, weigh in or don't, it's my hope that Let's Talk will at least get you thinking...and maybe even get you discussing with the rest of us!

Question: What book from your childhood do you still cherish to this day?

Reading, in and of itself, defined my childhood, to be honest, and there were a lot of books that became instant favourites of mine. I remember reading for the sake of reading at that age. Anything and everything was fine with me, as long as it was the written word. I read those words like they were a breath of fresh air, and a lot of books played defining roles in my childhood. It's those books that I someday hope to pass on to my children someday, as well.




There are a few books, however, that stand out in my mind, and you've probably seen them mentioned on one or two of my Top Ten Tuesdays. One such book (ok, fine, I'm cheating) is actually a series. Most of you probably know about the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, but did you know her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, had a series, too? I own every copy, and as battered as they are, I love them dearly. They're not the world's best writing, but they were real, and I became invested in her story. I grew up with Rose.


You know those books you read and re-read until the covers fall off, then you tape the cover back on and the pages become brittle and rip? Many Waters is that book for me. No, it's by no means the most powerful story in the world. Nor is it flawless in execution, but it presented something new to me. I was captivated by the fact that this book seamlessly merged the science-fiction genre with a classic Biblical story, Noah's Ark, and somehow was never blashphemous. The love story, the rich Biblical theme and the power of the prose speaks to me to this day.



Last, but certainly not least, no list is complete for me without Harry Potter. This series is one that I literally grew up with. I can't say enough good things about it either. The adventure, the heart, the themes, the rich storytelling - all of it merges into an epic series that, for all intents and purposes, transcends the genre and captures the hearts of pretty much all readers. I, personally, can't wait to share Harry with my children. 







What about you?

 If you'd like feature your own Let's Talk post, feel free to link it up!


20 comments:

  1. I read like CRAZY as a kid. I remember going to the library as a kid and checking out 15-20 books at a time. I'd then go back home and hole up in my room and read all afternoon! I loved the Little House on the Prairie books too. Other ones I loved as a kid were Nancy Drew and the American Girl books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Potter didn't come out until I was in college but I loved it. I was obsessed with Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley Twin clubs. I loved Little House too. Long Winter is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where the Red Fern Grows. This book will always be my favorite. In fact, I still cry when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, there are SO MANY books I loved when I was little! Katie's Picture Show and The Maggie B were two of my favorite picture books. I'm excited to read them to my own kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Ella Enchanted and the Anne books by L. M. Montgomery. (And of course, I loved the Little House books too.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My big childhood book obsession was the Baby-Sitter's Club-loved, loved, loved! Of course I read lots of other books but the 100+ BSC series meant I always had something to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lion, the witch, and the wardrobe!

    I desperately wished I would find a magical wardrobe when I was young.

    I can't wait to share this magical tale with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Many Waters too because I liked that it focused on the twins.
    From way back when, I'd have to say my favorite books from childhood were Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume. I grew up in the late 70's early 80's these books formed me!
    I also loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading was a huge part of my childhood! I have loved reading my entire life. But I have to say the first book that I truly loved was Anne of Green Gables. It was the first book ever that when I finished I was sad because I would miss Anne. How glad I was to discover it was a series! I have the entire series now and reread it when I can. I love The Little House Series and the Rose Series. I own both and my daughter and I read them together (: A few years ago we took a trip to Mansfield, Missouri to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum. It's where most to the Rose books are set, and there's a huge section in the museum devoted to Rose Wilder Lane. My daughter and I both loved it, and we plan to visit again in the near future. It's really a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read all the time when I was little! Some of my favorites that still stick with me are THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH by Norton Juster, THE SECRET GARDEN by Frances Hodgson Burnett, and THE LAST OF THE REALLY GREAT WHANGDOODLES by Julie Andrews Edwards. As I got a little older, WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS by Wilson Rawls and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee were great reads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harry Potter of course tops my list. It's a book I literally grew up reading too. I was also a fan of the Wayside stories (Sideways Stories from Wayside School) and the Bailey School books (where all the teachers were different kinds of monsters)!

    - Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Ghost Next Door by Wylly Folk St. John. First middle grade book (with about 10-12 chapter's no less) that I read in one sitting. I was 8 or 9 at the time. Loved it so much. Then I lost it. And forgot the title AND author. Subsequently I spent along time whilst in my twenties searching online to try and find it again. I finally did. It's out of print (of course) but I did get my hands on a used copy. Read it again in one sitting and STILL love it:)Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Harry Potter for me as well, plus the Babysitter's Club! I also enjoyed Sweet Valley Kids and Goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think...the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, they were just wonderful and I will always cherish those

    ReplyDelete
  15. God do I feel old, you GREW UP with Harry Potter? Jeez, my kids grew up with Harry Potter! I grew up with The Bobbsey Twins, The Happy Hollisters, and Nancy Drew.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could never list all of the books that I grew up with, but the Laura Ingalls Little House books were ones that I read until they practically fell apart. I also really loved the BabySitters Club and Flowers in the Attic. Sadly, I've never read the L'Engle books but I do plan to read that quintet this year in 2012. Everytime you talk about her books, I get more and more excited to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anne of Green Gables, the Chronicles of Narnia, Enid Blyton's Malory Towers school stories, to name but a few. Harry Potter is another series I love to reread, but I was a teenager when I read them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was a series reader. I loved The American Girl series and The Babysitter Club series. I also loved the Ramona books from Beverly Cleary. They bring back fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that Harry Potter is on practically every list of yours. It's also on practically all of mine. And now that I have just linked up my post, I realized how many books I left off by reading these comments. :( Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read Many Waters so long ago, but I remember really liking it. I'm still a "Wrinkle in Time" girl, though. That book is my very favorite to this day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover