Top Ten Young Adult Book Covers

Tuesday, March 6, 2012






Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. The feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists over at The Broke and the Bookish. They'd love to share their lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week they will post a new top ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
Top Ten Young Adult Book Covers:


1. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - Seriously? I have an art print of this that my fiance and I just can't wait to hang in our new home. It has everything I love - art, water and super awesome photography! It certainly doesn't hurt that I adore the book either.

2. The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher - I still swear this is one of the most gorgeous books I've ever seen. It's pure art, to be honest. I'd like an art print of this one, too.

3. Harbinger by Sara Etienne Wilson - I think what I love the most about this one is that there is nothing quite like it on the YA market today. Frankly, it's so original that it's the artwork that first caught my eye and sold me on it!

4. Across the Universe by Beth Revis - I didn't love this book, and that's no secret. I thought it fell a bit short of my expectations, but this cover most certainly did not. It's absolutely, positively brilliant...out of this world (wink, wink).

5. Between by Jessica Warman - Talk about a haunting cover. I didn't really get it until I actually took a long, hard look at the cover. It's eerie, off-balance and perfectly illustrates the novel, itself. It's got an understated elegance.

6. Bunheads by Sophie Flack - I first got my ARC at BEA last summer, and the cover is what drew me to it first...a little circle of ballerinas in tutus, and all you saw were the buns on their heads. It's so pretty. I still love it!

7. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer - This is one of the first books I reviewed on my blog, and it's still one of my favourite covers. It's alive with colour, and it really pops off the shelf. Plus, it's my favourite in the series, too.

8. Wither by Lauren DeStefano - Ok, I know I protest the endless trend of "pretty girls in even prettier dresses," but this one was too good to pass up. I remember being shocked at this cover, and then lusting over it for months. I'm not ashamed.

9. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - So sue me. I know a lot of people don't love these covers, but come on! I think they stand out because they ARE so different. Plus, they're a series, they're perfect for the novels and they look great on my shelf.

10. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - This is by far my favourite Harry Potter cover. I think it's the shades of blue. The art is fantastic as ever, and it looks simply flawless. Plus, it's in line with the darker tone, which is perfect.

17 comments:

  1. So... have to ask ...
    Do you like the "Across the Universe" cover that has the faces, or the schematics of the ship side instead? I loved that it had both - in fact, I put out two copies, one with each cover, and watched the kids divide them by gender, yet both loved the book. Interesting..
    Same thing for "Life As We Know It" - I didn't love the original cover with the dresser and the slight sketch quality, but love the photograph styled version! 
    An interesting list for sure - congrats on the Michelle Hodkin cover print as art! Sounds beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I love Mara Dyer's cover. Plus, I'm a big fan of the Bunheads cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is one of my favourite covers of all time. I scuba dive and I just really love the way things look underwater. Harbinger is also gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is such a ridiculously gorgeous cover. What a beautiful piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Across the Universe's cover(s) is one of my favorite from last year. So pretty (and the blueprint of the ship is very cool, too). Great variety of covers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES MARA DYER!!! That cover was stunning, I can't wait to see what the cover for the new book looks like. I wonder if they'll keep a water theme? The Water Wars was also gorgeous, probably one of my favorite covers ever:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo yes, Mara Dyer, Wither, Harbinger---your list is full of beauties! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Across the Universe is a cool cover!
    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-10-tuesdays-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, great picks!  I LOVE the covers for Mara Dyer and The Water Wars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't really love Harbinger the book, but I LOVE Harbinger the cover. The splash of red and the color of the moon are what hooked me initially, and then when your eyes looks at the picture - well, it is really a work of art. Then when you read the book and find it cohesive to the story, I'm sold on the cover! Great choice. 

    Speaking of Wither and the pretty dresses trend - I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't mind/actually likes the "Girl-In-Pretty-Dress" YA cover trend - as long as they're truly pretty. Wither, Born Wicked, Dragonswood, some of those are absolutely gorgeous. Bonus points of the girl and the dress are actually in the story! 

    I love Across the Universe's cover too - wish they'd have kept the pretty purples and stars for the paperback...

    Lovely list Melissa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Ashley! It's not that I don't love the dresses on the covers...rather that so many of them are just senseless in terms of the story haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm dying to see what THE EVOLUTION OF MARA DYER looks like...I hope I win an art print of that, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and Harbinger. Those are some great choices. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, I knew I forgot some covers in my list! Totally agree with THG, HP, ATU, and Wither! 

    Great list, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover