Top Ten Summer Beach Reads

Tuesday, June 12, 2012






Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. The feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists over at The Broke and the Bookish. They'd love to share their lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week they will post a new top ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
Top Ten Summer Beach Reads:

1. Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar - I've said it once, and I'll say it a million more times. This book is phenomenal. It has everything from strong characters, to a beautiful and tragic plot to dealing with powerful issues. Plus, it's beachy and sweet. Sold yet? You should be. It's fantastic. 








2. Sea Change by Aimee Friedman - There's something about the sweet simplicity about this one that makes it just brilliant. It's the first mermaid book I read, and I like that it is a standalone, despite the fact that I totally would have loved a second book. Mermaids + beach + summer = a great beachy read! 







3. Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen - Summer feels like the right time to read contemporary for some reason. When I go to the beach, I want to bask in familiarity and real life. This is all that and more. It's sweet, perhaps a touch predictable, but totally believable and lovely. This is definitely a beach read.







4. Siren by Tricia Rayburn - Sirens live in the water. Water is at the beach. Beach is like summer. I think that pretty much sums it up, but this first installment in the series is lovely, heartbreaking and just summery enough to whet my appetite. Plus, who doesn't love a sweet summer romance that might just be something more?!  






5. The Espressologist by Kristina Springer - I never reviewed this one on my blog, but it always seems to find its way into my beach bag. There's something about the sweet story, the coffee on the cover and the fact that it's just contemporary enough to feel totally real and believable that makes me want to keep reading it. It's light and fun - just like a day at the beach!  






6. The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han - Frankly, the title says it all. It's a summertime book! I have never been a huge advocate of contemps, but there's something about this series that just soars. I love it, I love the characters and I love the sweet romance and summer feel. This is always on my summer reading list.  






7. Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler - Despite my initial aversion to the book because of the somewhat "loose" title, this one has me in its throes to this day. I love the fact that it's deeper than the title or cover implies and actually shows the grief and healing process with the backdrop of a beautiful transitional summer.  







8. Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson - For some reason, I avoided this one for a long time. Once I read it though, I was hooked. What screams summer more than roadtrips with great music and fabulous friends? I love the playlists interjected throughout the story and the fact that I always feel like summer - no matter when I read it.






9. A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle - Dolphins, my friends. Dolphins. A quick aside - NEVER see the made-for-tv movie because it's horrible. Regardless though, this book is powerful, sweet, a touch sad and just happy enough to make you want to visit the ocean, step in the water and experience what the characters felt.  






10. Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle - No list is complete without this book for me, kids. I know, it's on every list pretty much. Think - Noah's Ark with a twist. We've got little mammoths, light and dark angels, a coming of age story and two brothers who love one girl enough to want to save her and transport her to their time. Gahhhh still love it.

32 comments:

  1. That is a great list especially since there are sooo many books I haven't read before!! But... you needed to add Of Poseidon!! I mean, what is a better Beach Read than a Mermaid book!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHH HOW DID I FORGET OF POSEIDON?!?!?! I fail hahah endlessly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weeks topic is perfect for me because I'm going to the beach next week!!!!!
    Thanks for all the book suggestions! I love how each book sounds perfect for the beach! Thanks for all the intros! I'm especially excited to read Raw Blue!















    Rachel
    @ Unforgettable Books
     

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loooove Twenty Boy Summer and I really want to read Siren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Sarah Dessen and Jenny Han both made my list this week too! They're perfect summer

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was supposed to say they're perfect for summer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you'd love it! I was surprised that I loved it as much as I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will just LOVE Raw Blue! It is so dang good! Enjoy the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummmmm how much do I fail that I've only read 2 of the books on this list? You know how much I adore Raw Blue, I really need to get myself a copy so I can read it again. Also, I'm dying for Night Beach. Cannot. Wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You fail a lot, obvs, but I love you - regardless. 

    Also, NIGHT BEACH better show up stat! I'm dying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many Waters sounds pretty interesting. Interesting list, and I've enjoyed reading your site. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! Sea Change! A constant summer favorite of mine that I have referred to time and time again. Fab choice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to someone else out there that loves it like I do :)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! I think you'd enjoy Many Waters...it's a constant favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How could I forget Twenty Boy Summer? :[

    Glad you thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to read all of these books still. And I agree. Contemporaries just feel right for summer. I also like cozy mysteries. 

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good call on the mysteries...they're perfect year-round!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love Amy and Roger's Epic Detour! :) And anything by Sarah Dessen is perfect for summer. 

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so very impressed you included not one but TWO L'Engle novels! I have read A Ring of Endless Light 100+ times & STILL cry when they're at the hospital! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love Madeleine L'Engle. Great list. Thanks so much for stopping by my Top Ten. Following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I quite agree on Dessen...resisted for a while but ended up loving her!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YAY for L'Engle fans! A RING OF ENDLESS LIGHT and MANY WATERS are my two favourites of all time :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another L'Engle fan! Yay! You're in good company here on le blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read A Ring of Endless Light like 10 times one summer. So sweet and so sad, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Summer I Turned Pretty is so amazing! Loved the list of books. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great looking list! I've been meaning to read Raw Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  27. YES to Sarah Dessen.  Her books = summer, in my opinion.  I had Amy & Roger on my list too.  I haven't read any of the others on your list, but they look great!

    Here's my TTT: http://writergrrlreads.blogspot.ca/2012/06/top-ten-books-id-recommend-as-good.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved, loved, loved Amy and Roger's Epic Detour! It is definitely the perfect summer read to me. Plus, Sarah Dessen is an instant beach read :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been meaning to read the Espressologist forever! I got it in my shot TBR pile I hope I can get to it soon!

    Nice picks

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG.  I loved Ring of Endless Light when I was in high school.  I think I read it a gazillion times because I loved the dolphins and all the hot boys.  Great summer read!

    I'll have to check out your others!  Love how a lot of them feature the ocean  ;)

     Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover