Books I'd LOVE to Have Sequels

Friday, February 14, 2014

In honour of Valentine's Day, I thought I'd do just a little bitty feature, sharing those books I've read recently (or ever) that I'd absolutely love to have sequels. You know those books that just speak to your soul from the start, then crush it with abandon, only to end after a mere 350 pages? Yes, those books. There is something to absolutely love within all these books, and I'll hold out hope until the end of time.

Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis
Coincidentally enough, I discovered that it's getting a companion novel in September 2014…I, quite literally, accosted Ms. McGinnis on Twitter about my oblivion and my excitement. 

The following three novels all had a significant impact on me. One was read in my youth, but I've longed to know more since then. Another was read only a few years ago, but I'd give my left foot to see the story continued and given true, final closure. The third simply remains on my shelf through thick and thin. I can't tell you the number of times I've imagined another installment and another ending to the story. I know that ship has sailed, but I can't help but want more to this day.

The Last Silk Dress by Ann Rinaldi
This book has a clear and definitive ending, but it's also open-ended in terms of Susan's story. I'd love to have a chance to see whether this Southern girl truly braved the North.

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar
Carly is broken when we first meet her, and we slowly but surely watch as she begins to heal. We don't see her fully healed though, and selfish me wants more.

Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle
I'm crazy because this is a Biblical retelling, and we all know how Noah's Ark ended. But seriously? Who wouldn't want to know whether Sandy and Dennis got over Yalith, or if Adnarel really saved Yalith in the end?

Reading, for me, is all about love. I fall in love with the characters, with the story, with the author's writing style; I have a love affair with books every single day. And no, I'm not ashamed of it. What books would you love to see have a sequel?

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

10 comments:

  1. We already had a mutual freakout on Twitter over the first two, so I'm going to move my freakout on to Raw Blue. I would LOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE a sequel to that one! One without any kind of drama though, just a short novella maybe that shows what happened when she finally made it back to him. MORE MELISSA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to reading In a handful of dust and love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can't believe I still haven't read Raw Blue! I'm the type of reader that usually wishes for more standalones -ha! There are so many sequels out there that I haven't gotten around to reading even though I loved the first book. That said, I am very happy that Maggie Stiefvater has given Cole St. Clair his own spin-off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when I fall in love with a book and just want MORE of all the characters in it. While I've not read any of the titles in this post, they all sound pretty darn awesome! Looks like I might have to consider more books for my reading pile ;) As for stand-alones that I think deserve sequels? I'd say My Life Next Door (Huntley Fitzpatrick) is one (though it does have a follow-up coming) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So maybe this is silly, but I'd like to change the ending of Clockwork Princess or extend it and read more about Will and Tessa. An entire book would not be out of the question. And I don't want to read that epilogue ever. Sorry Jem lovers.(Gem?) My heart still hurts a little over that one. I hated that the Shade series by Jeri Smith-Ready ended and she's written novellas to go along with it and just about everything she could to extend it. But I loved the main characters. However once you've resolved the conflict, not much more to write about.

    I would love to see, like Jenny said, a novella about Carly from Raw Blue. An entire novel might be overkill.

    Oh, I would love one more novel in the Just One Day, Just One Year, series. Just One Life? I'd love to know what happens after the door closes. Maybe she'll write another companion type of series where they make a cameo like Adam did.

    I still have to read Not a Drop to Drink and Many Waters. I think I've already said that this week. I might say it every week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. MY GAWD. MY GAWD MY GAWD MY GAWD MELISSA HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT THERE WAS A COMPANION. You and Mindy just made my day.

    Fabulous post! <33

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, I haven't read any of these. *hides* But I have been wanting to read Raw Blue, I've heard nothing but good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great list Melissa! There are so many books that I would love to have sequels or just for the series to continue for a little longer such as Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series. I have to agree I would love to go back to Carly's story in Raw Blue! I loved that book so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The McGinnis book - I think I remember you reviewing that one and how much you loved it, so I'm glad you're getting your sequel! And I have added it in both print and audio format (you know I love to do both simultaneously like the weirdo I am) to my library queue. I love the cover for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover