Waiting on Wednesday: Love and Other Perishable Items

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine, and specifically spotlights upcoming novels we can't wait to read. As always, there are some amazing upcoming books, but this week I'm particularly excited for...

Title: Love and Other Perishable Items
Author: Laura Buzo
Publisher: Knopf BYR
Publish Date: December 12, 2012
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Pages: 256
Love is awkward, Amelia should know.

From the moment she sets eyes on Chris, she is a goner. Lost. Sunk. Head over heels infatuated with him. It's problematic, since Chris, 21, is a sophisticated university student, while Amelia, 15, is 15.

Amelia isn't stupid. She knows it's not gonna happen. So she plays it cool around Chris—at least, as cool as she can. Working checkout together at the local supermarket, they strike up a friendship: swapping life stories, bantering about everything from classic books to B movies, and cataloging the many injustices of growing up. As time goes on, Amelia's crush doesn't seem so one-sided anymore. But if Chris likes her back, what then? Can two people in such different places in life really be together?
Guys, contemporary is usually not my thing. Perhaps it's my personal life being up in the air lately (read: failure), or the fact that summer induces a crazed frenzy for anything and everything contemporary, but Love and Other Perishable Items has been extremely hot on my must-read list lately. Seriously, how sweet and cute does this read sound? I think reading about the adorkably messy first-loves, crushes and potential romances brings me back to a time when it was all a lot simpler and, heck, who doesn't want that? Regardless, this cover is so simple, cute and stark and I'm completely and utterly sold! PS - It's available on Netgalley...run! Don't walk! What do you think, and what are you waiting on this week?

32 comments:

  1. I think it's that fabulous cover that's drawing you in. So cute. I <3 Mason jar covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this cover and lately I found myself loving Contemporary more and more! And.. although I was at BEA and got to many books anyway I got this one from NetGalley!! woooho:) Cant't wait to read it! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks fabulous! I need to grab it. The cover reminds me of Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHH, Yay! I love when love stories start out as fun friendship stories!! I'm definitely putting this one my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love contemps in the summertime! I ran fast to get this one on Netgalley as soon as I saw it on there, but I was rejected. I think this publisher has gone US only, which sucks for me.

    I hope you're doing OK re:personal life issues. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a huge fan of contemporary books but this one sounds good :). Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pick Melissa, I actually read this book last year, it's a great Aussie book, the title was previously Good Oil! I hope you'll get your hands on a copy soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't heard of this one! Hope you love it once you read it!

     Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, doll :)

    You're sweet...and I love contemps in the summer, too! I was lucky to score it on Netgalley because usually they reject me for their titles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GOOD! I can't wait to compare notes with everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't it sound sweet? Contemps aren't usually my thing either, but I love the potential of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know! I remember Nomes used to rave about it, and I can't wait to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds pretty good! First i've seen or heard of it! Thank you for sharing :)


    My WoW :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apparently it was originally released in Australia as GOOD OIL :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes!! Awesome pick. I want it for the adorable cover alone. 

    Ooh, how did I not realize this was the same book as ''Good Oil''? What a drastic cover and title change! 

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. Awesome cover 2. I TOTALLY agree with you about summertime and the inexplicable urge to read contemporary fiction. Why is this!? 
    great WoW pick, it sounds adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything about this book is adorable from the cover to the summary. And contemporary does have that must read in summer feel. And that's probably why I've been devouring Sarah Dessen novels [rereads] like a crazy woman. :]

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know, right?! I am so so so excited for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad I'm not the only one that experiences this phenomenon with contemporary fiction! I can't wait to start this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one sounds so unbelievably cute! It definitely seems like the perfect summer read...contemporary is definitely my go-to choice during summer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Doesn't it, though! I'm so so so excited about it. There's something about those Aussie contemps, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm really looking forward to reading this one too. I got approved for it on Netgalley yesterday yay! Following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm looking forward to this book too.  It sounds like such a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aw--sorry about the fail in your personal life. That really sucks. I can completely understand the draw of the crush, that first love, and a time when life was simpler. *sigh* Sounds like a great book. And I hope life gets simpler for you, too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. This book is majorly good! I read the Aussie version and loved it, and I still requested the us one just so I could check it out and see if it's as awesome as I remember :D

    Sorry about the fail :( 

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great choice this week!! This sounds like a really great contemporary read and I can't wait to read it!!

    Happy reading and thanks for stopping by..I am a new follower and I love your blog design :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I picked this one up from NetGalley and can't wait to read it after hearing so many good things and because I've really been trying to read more contemporaries. It's funny, I also think of summer as a good time to read contemporaries for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really want to read this one-I'm so happy I was approved on Netgalley and will be eagerly diving into this closer to the release date.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't read much contemporary, but I love this book's title and the premise is something that will totally take me back to one of my WORST crushes on an older boy.  *sigh*

    I'll definitely have to check this one out!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!  Your blog looks great, and I'm looking forward to following your reviews!  ^_^

     Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover