Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. The feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists over at The Broke and the Bookish.
Each week they will post a new top ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a great way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
1. Love Triangles - My aversion to these geometric phenomenon is uncanny. I seriously cannot stand the trend. If you MUST have one...why can't it be two girls and one guy? Huh?
2. Catfights - Catty, bitchy girls just grate on me. Perhaps it's a memory of my adolescent years, but the thought of these horrible girls tends to make me avoid them. There are exceptions (Some Girls Are), but for the most part...blergh.
3. Vampires - Colour me burned out on this entire realm of paranormal beings. I missed the boat on the Twilight phenomenon, and I really just don't like them, as a whole. Again, there are exceptions (Vampire Academy, Vampire Empire...etc).
4. James Patterson - I'm in a minority here. I'm okay with that. I read Witch & Wizard by him when I first started blogging, and I wanted to rip my own eyeballs out. I can't un-read it, so what am I to do?
5. Amish - I have an immense respect for the Amish way of life, and I've yet to read a book that doesn't pollute the idea of how they live with our own Western ways. If I'm wrong and you have one, please share!
6. Insta-love - Do I really need to go into this? Love is not instantaneous! Attraction might be, but LOVE is not. I'm sorry...no me gusta!
7. Animal Cruelty - I swear that, while in school, my educators had a hidden agenda, making us read about animal death 24/7. I cannot fathom what makes people hurt animals, and I will not read books that depict it because I just can't stomach it.
8. Petty Contemporary - Guys, I like me some issues. I like dark, realistic fiction. I want gritty and raw and emotional. Sometimes I can do the fluffy stuff but, more often than not, it's just not for me.
9. Cliffhangers - Here's my beef with these cliffhangers. Sometimes these are done crazy well (The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer). Other times, however, they're just a lead-in to the next novel...a ploy, if you will. That is what I don't like.
10. "The Next..." - Okay, let me explain this one. I have a very strong aversion to books being touted as "the next Harry Potter," or "the next..." fill in the blank. Each book deserves its own glory. Why do we have to put them in the same vein? Compare the two, and I expect the same...it's the doom of a book for me.