Waiting on Wednesday: Afterparty

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine, and specifically spotlights upcoming novels we can't wait to read. As always, there are some amazing upcoming books, but this week I'm particularly excited for...

Title: Afterparty
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publish Date: January 7, 2014
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Pages: 384

Emma is tired of being good. Always the dutiful daughter to an overprotective father, she is the antithesis of her mother -- whose name her dad won't even say out loud. That's why meeting Siobhan is the best thing that ever happened to her...and the most dangerous. Because Siobhan is fun and alluring and experienced and lives on the edge. In other words, she's everything Emma is not. And it may be more than Emma can handle.

Because as intoxicating as her secret life may be, when Emma begins to make her own decisions, Siobhan starts to unravel. It's more than just Dylan, the boy who comes between them. Their high-stakes pacts are spinning out of control. Elaborate lies become second nature. Loyalties and boundaries are blurred. And it all comes to a head at the infamous Afterparty, where debauchery rages and an intense, inescapable confrontation ends in a plummet from the rooftop...
You guys know me. I'm a huge sucker for drama...but not surly, petty drama. I like my drama rich and deadly with characters and lies as thick as thieves. This makes me an odd duck. I know this, however, I'm totally okay with it, too. Afterparty sounds like it might just fit the bill, and you'd better believe I'm coveting this something fierce. I'm not sure the cover matches the severity of the premise, but I love it in its own way. This is, however, coming out just, ya know, 3 days after my wedding. Guess I'll have to read it on the honeymoon? What do you think, and what are you waiting on this week?

12 comments:

  1. This looks great, Melissa--a perfectly good honeymoon read! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa! I know I haven't commented in AGES but I have been reading on here everyday :) I took a break from blogging for a bit but I'm back up and running again! This book sounds really good, especially the part about 'high-stake pacts - very intriguing! Definitely read it on your honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not such a huge fan of gritty contemporary, only because I'm skeptical about how it's handled. I am interested in this one - and love the cover - so I'll be looking out for your thoughts on this, Melissa!(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pick! Not a contemp reader myself, but I still hope you enjoy this one!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who doesn't like some drama? ;)
    I'm also looking forward to this one. It sounds like it's going to be highly entertaining.
    Great pick, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, I take a pass on all surly, petty drama! It's hard for me to see characters completely unravel or change completely in an attempt to figure out who they are, so I feel like this will be a challenging read for me. Who doesn't love a challenge though? Bring it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great honeymoon read. I love the yin and yang of the cover vs. the premise of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'm more a fan of watching (on TV, mind you, not real life xD) drama than reading about it, haha. Even though I won't be picking this one up, I hope it lives up to your expectations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really good :) I've not heard of this before, but I'll definitely be adding it to my tbr!

    Janina
    My WW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's something about someone who seems wild and crazy, who pushes you to do things that you wouldn't usually do (and aren't always safe), especially when you're a teen (I'm invincible!). And just say no to surly, petty drama. I get more than enough of that at school, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, totally a great honeymoon read (well I think!) and congrats, hun!

    Fab pick, Melissa! <33

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a great, dramatic read!

    Nice WOW :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover