Waiting on Wednesday: In a Handful of Dust

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

I feel like I swore up and down this past year that the dystopian genre was dead, but there are still a few books that absolutely blew me away and had me begging for more. One such author, Mindy McGinnis, wrote one of my all-time favourite dystopians, Not a Drop to Drink, and I've wanted more since the very last page of that book. Can you believe dreams do come true?!


Publish Date: September 23, 2014
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Pages: 384

Lucy’s life by the pond has always been full. She has water and friends, laughter and the love of her adoptive mother, Lynn, who has made sure that Lucy’s childhood was very different from her own. Yet it seems Lucy’s future is settled already—a house, a man, children, and a water source—and anything beyond their life by the pond is beyond reach.

When disease burns through their community, the once life-saving water of the pond might be the source of what’s killing them now. Rumors of desalinization plants in California have lingered in Lynn’s mind, and the prospect of a “normal” life for Lucy sets the two of them on an epic journey west to face new dangers: hunger, mountains, deserts, betrayal, and the perils of a world so vast that Lucy fears she could be lost forever, only to disappear in a handful of dust.
While I loved reading the story of Lynn in this novel's predecessor, I'm also pretty darn eager to see how the story works from Lucy's point of view. There was a raw power in Not a Drop to Drink that was painful, hopeless and distraught - very dystopian - that I really hope carries through into this novel. It made the first book remarkable, so I'm excited to see that this isn't a cut-and-dried sequel...rather a new point of view. Also, I must have this cover. Stat. What do you think, and what are you waiting on this week?

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature from Jill at Breaking the Spine.

9 comments:

  1. You know me well enough to know I would not have been thrilled with the end of Not a Drop to Drink for....reasons, so I'm curious to see what you'll think of this one! And we've discussed the gorgeousness of that cover already, but it bears repeating. SO PRETTY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read the first book, Not A Drop to Drink, which is on my TBR list. I've heard so many great things about book 1, hopefully book 2, In A Handful of Dust, is just as good, if not better!
    Come by and check out my Wow & my Book Haul@ Book Hangovers
    xoxo Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a fan of the cover on this series. Pretty! I was going to snap a copy of this download but I haven't read Not A Drop to Drink yet. I've heard good things about it and I know it might be made into a movie, so hopefully I'll get a chance to read both this summer!

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my WoW pick today also. I hope we both enjoy reading this.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Seen this author around but haven't read her. Hope you love it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the title. Now I need to read that first one so I'll be read for this one. Your gushing over Not a Drop to Drink made me finally buy it. At least I have until September to read it before this one is released :) Great WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't read the first book, but it sounds awesome. Gotta love a good dystopian novel. I really like the cover too…very eye-catching and ominous! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a Drop To Drink is a hard read. It's just so raw and, yes, so very dystopian. Love the covers on these books!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover