Waiting on Wednesday: Winterspell

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I have a little-known fact for all of you. From the time I was three to about 15 years old, I did ballet, and that's a big reason I picked today's WoW book. I was in The Nutcracker for three years in a row, and every single time I was a little soldier. No floaty dresses for this girl, obviously, which is why I quit ballet (I was a jealous one), but I digress. There's something atmospheric about this book that has me lusting after it hardcore.


Title: Winterspell
Publish Date: September 30, 2014
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Pages: 464

The clock chimes midnight, a curse breaks, and a girl meets a prince . . . but what follows is not all sweetness and sugarplums.

New York City, 1899. Clara Stole, the mayor's ever-proper daughter, leads a double life. Since her mother's murder, she has secretly trained in self-defense with the mysterious Drosselmeyer. Then, on Christmas Eve, disaster strikes.

Her home is destroyed, her father abducted--by beings distinctly not human. To find him, Clara journeys to the war-ravaged land of Cane. Her only companion is the dethroned prince Nicholas, bound by a wicked curse. If they're to survive, Clara has no choice but to trust him, but his haunted eyes burn with secrets--and a need she can't define. With the dangerous, seductive faery queen Anise hunting them, Clara soon realizes she won't leave Cane unscathed--if she leaves at all.
Okay, now if that doesn't sound original (and amazing), then I'm a monkey's uncle. Seriously, I've yet to read a paranormal novel that involves a Nutcracker theme with horror, curse-filled backstory, so colour me endlessly intrigued! Plus, that cover has me absolutely lusting over it because it looks so very wicked. Obviously, this is a must-have and a must-read on my list. I'm counting the days. What do you think, and what are you waiting on this week?

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature from Jill at Breaking the Spine.

20 comments:

  1. This sounds simply amazing, I've had it on my radar for quite a while (since Carina starting talking about it on Twitter actually) and I was just approved an eARC of it via EW just yesterday! I'm SO tempted to skip my TBR list and start it already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I hadn't heard about it yet, Pili! I was missing out, I guess!

      Delete
  2. LOL you're not a monkey's uncle, Melissa, no worries! I have to agree that this one sounds fantastic, though the cover is erring on the side of creepy to me. Anyhow, thanks for putting this on my radar -- I'll have to add it to the TBR at once!(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the cover is really amazing and creepy! I love the sound of it with the air of creepiness to it. Lovely pick Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so so eerie? I love how very different it sounds, too...pretty rare after all these years of blogging haha

      Delete
  4. I am so excited for this one as well.I absolutely love the premise and I am a huge fan of the Nutcracker, so I hope it doesn't disappoint. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too, but I guess we always run that risk, huh?!

      Delete
  5. Oh Yes! I've seen this one around and love how atmospheric it sounds, and I really don't know if I've seen the Nutcracker done with a mix of horror like this as well. And, that cover seriously has shiver-sending vibes. Can't wait to see what you think of it, Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it was on EW just recently, and I obviously MUST have it now ;) hopefully I'll get approved so I can lust after it for real!

      Delete
  6. I think this will be amazing. I haven't read any creepy, horror retellings of The Nutcracker, and why not? I'm sorry, but the rat kind has ALWAYS freaked me out a little bit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has such a pretty cover, I have a copy of it. I am hoping it is as good as it sounds. :) Great pick.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds amazing! I have yet to read a retelling of The Nutcracker, so I'm excited for this one. And it looks so creepy! I'm loving it! Plus, the Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls was so good. Thanks for letting me know about this one :D Great pick

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this sounds and looks fantastic! Adding it right now to the TBR!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really good. I hope you enjoy reading it!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOh nice! Seeing this around a LOT! Hope you enjoy it too!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a good read, I had seen it around but today i took the time to look closer! might have to add this to the pile..

    88dreamers

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds so good! I've been hearing some buzz about it and that cover is gorgeous. Also, did you see the cards that they had made to go with the book? Claire Legrand was talking about them on Twitter. They're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover