Waiting on Wednesday: Falls the Shadow

Wednesday, April 9, 2014


Title: Falls the Shadow
Author: Stefanie Gaither (Twitter)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster BYR
Publish Date: September 16, 2014
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Mystery
Pages: 352

When Cate Benson was twelve, her sister died. Two hours after the funeral, they picked up Violet’s replacement, and it was like nothing had ever happened. Because Cate’s parents are among those who decided to grant their children a sort of immortality—by cloning them at birth. So this new Violet has the same smile. The same laugh. That same perfect face. Thanks to advancements in mind-uploading technology, she even has all the same memories as the girl she replaced. She also might have murdered the most popular girl in school.

Or at least, that’s what the paparazzi and crazy anti-cloning protesters want everyone to think: that clones are violent, unpredictable monsters. Cate is used to hearing all that, though. She’s used to standing up for her sister too, and she’s determined to prove her innocence now—at whatever the cost. But the deeper she digs for the truth, the further Cate's carefully-constructed life begins to unravel, unveiling a world filled with copies and lies, where nothing and no one—not even her sister— is completely what they seem.
I'm all about sci-fi this year, or so it seems. The stories just seem to be getting more quirky, more edgy and far more dangerous, which excites me because I obviously like the twisted tales. There's something about cloning that seems inherently wrong - and terrifying - to me, and a novel that explores the potential negative ramifications of it seems like a gold mine of possibilities. Plus, that cover is going to haunt my dreams. What do you think, and what are you waiting on this week?

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature from Jill at Breaking the Spine.

14 comments:

  1. I can always count on you to find something awesome Melissa! I haven't heard of this one before but it's going on my list immediately! I'm always intrigued by stories about clones, particularly stories with secrets and twists and possible murders. WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! I'm so excited to read this too, Melissa! It seems to have everything I ask for in a YA mystery and that cover is just stunning! :)
    Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really interesting! Lies and Murder??? Sign me up :)

    Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this cover!!! I've been waiting for this one too! It's even made one of my WoW's! lol
    Sounds like it's gonna be a good thriller. Can't wait!
    Great Pick! Thanks for sharing xoxox
    Check out my WoW
    Michelle ~ Book Hangovers Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOoh that's new to me, but I too am loving that cover! Great pick!


    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow- that sounds like a really unique story…I've been looking for a good sci-fi book, so thanks for sharing this one. And you are right…that cover is extremely haunting! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really have WoWed a lot of scifi! And that cover is totally freaking me out. Very creepy-sounding story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds so interesting! and ever so intriguing! I'll be keeping my eyes open for this one

    My Waiting on Wednesday
    88dreamers

    ReplyDelete
  9. "...that cover is going to haunt my dreams." EXACTLY. I had the same thoughts looking at the cover as well, Melissa! And you always DO find the most intriguing sci-fi novels to "wait" on, so onto the TBR this goes as well! I'm keeping my fingers crossed it winds up being as good as it sounds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yes I see so many possibilities just from that cover! This one sounds so, so good. I haven't read any of the cloning books yet. But I do have some ideas about it. I have an idea this one is going to blow any of those out of the water. It will make me wonder if these things are already happening....
    Fabulous choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cover! Super intriguing and mysterious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a wonderful pick Melissa! It reminds of The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna, but definitely has a much darker theme, one which I really think that I will enjoy! Thanks for putting this book on my radar!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover