Top Ten Books to Read in One Day

Tuesday, April 3, 2012






Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. The feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists over at The Broke and the Bookish. They'd love to share their lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week they will post a new top ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
Top Ten YA Books to Read in One Day:

1. Many Waters by Madeleine L’Engle – This one is a quick read, friends. It’s under 300 pages, it has a non-stop pace and there is a sweet romantic element that soars throughout the entire story. If you know Biblical story of Noah’s Ark, you might think you’re prepared for this one, but trust me…it’s a new twist!

2. Dark Song by Gail Giles – When I first read this book, I was in a reading slump, and I was so sick of trying to struggle through a book day after day. I picked this up, and I read it in four hours. It’s a quick read – dark and furious – and I was left feeling completely uncomfortable for days. I think, however, it’s the best when a book makes you feel something.

3. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling – Seriously…does anyone not have these books on their lists? I read every single one of these books in less than a day each. Nonstop. They’re so chock full of twists and turns that, let’s be honest, if I put the book down, I would have been in withdrawals for hours. That’s simply not ok.

4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – I’d throw in Catching Fire and Mockingjay, too, honestly, because I read them all in less than a day each, as well. I re-read them in less, too! They’re powerful, they sick their claws into you and you simply cannot put them down. I’m jussayin’.

5. The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab – This is one of the most beautifully poetic and well-written stories I’ve read in a long time. It’s such a searing storyline, and the words are like poetry, as much as they are a story. So graceful and lyrical, I re-read this anytime I’m in a book slump!

6. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin – Okay, I realize this is a longer book, but I couldn’t stop reading it once I started. A) Noah Shaw was too dang hot for me to let him go. B) Mara had some seriously bad mojo going on, and I really had to know why. C) Cliffhanger of Doom. I want MORE!

7. On the Banks of the Bayou by Roger Lea McBride – This is one of the Rose Wilder books (daughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder). I was obsessed with them when I was younger, and the series still sits proudly on my shelf. I really hope to share them with my children someday. They’re great, fast reads, and you get to watch as Rose grows up.

8. Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater – I don’t like her Shiver series. I’m sorry. I really, really, REALLY dislike it. That said, I do love both Ballad and Lament, and I think this is the better of the two. It’s fast-paced, it’s twisted and a bit dark and it’s a story that you wish had a next installment!

9. Vampire Academy by Rachelle Mead – I swore these off forever. I said I would never read a vampire book, and I would certainly not read a series with vampires in a boarding school. Well, I was wrong. I read the series, and I adored it…and now I can’t stop reading it. I could definitely read all these non-stop in a day.

10. Between by Jessica Warman – I didn’t know what to expect from this book, but I was just blown away. Though a bit predictable, the story has a beautiful theme, a tragically beautiful storyline and the chance to watch someone grow after life – something truly beautiful and unexpected.

--------------------------------------------------

10 comments:

  1. This is a great list!  (And I am totally with you on the Shiver series)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree about Harry Potter and The Hunger Games....both series are fantastic! And excellent reads that you can't put down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that before I read the HP books I thought everyone who read them in a day was insane - then I read and understood *lol* 

    Great list :) Stop by and see my Top Ten / Teaser Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're so much fun to just read back to back, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, right?! Those two have a place on pretty much any list haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know I"m not alone on the Shiver series haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list of books. I have Catching Fire and Mockingjay on my list too. A lot of people have that series on their list.

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/top-10-tuesdays-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup Hunger Games, there are other books for me, but often 800 page fantasy books and those are a bit impossible ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't like Maggie S.'s Shiver series either. I could barely get through the first book, so I've been a little leery to read Ballad.  But I think I'll give it a go now.
    Great list! 

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover