Top Ten Deceiving Book Covers

Tuesday, April 10, 2012






Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. The feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists over at The Broke and the Bookish. They'd love to share their lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week they will post a new top ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
Top Ten Deceiving Book Covers:



1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling – I didn’t actually start to read the series until two books in. Shocker. I know. I thought it was going to be a silly kids’ book, so I ignored it (and often made fun of my little sister for reading it). Then, I decided to give it a go and, well, the rest is history.


2. Redwall by Brian Jacques – Come on now…the covers have mice, and shrews, and otters and badgers in armour with swords! I thought they looked ridiculous, to be honest, but I started reading them so I could carry around big books like the pretentious little reader I was. They’re actually beautiful and deep, and I adore the series to this day.


3. Halo by Alexandra Adornetto - Gorgeous cover. Absolutely, positively stunning cover. Seriously, I was obsessed for months before I finally got the book. Unfortunately, the story was FAR overshadowed by the amazing cover.


4. The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher – This is, quite possibly, the most beautiful cover I’ve ever seen in my entire life. I thought it was stunning, and the premise was just incredible. The story, however, was riddled with searing political agendas that completely shrouded whatever plot might have otherwise succeeded.


5. Blood Red Road by Moira Young – The cover is adequate. It’s certainly not special in the realm of incredibly covers, but it’s poignant. The story within the pages, however, is one of the most clever, original takes on dystopian that I’ve read in a while, and the dialect truly sets it apart.


6. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead – Ok, you all know me. I hate vampires…with a passion. I was finally convinced to try the series even though I was pretty sure the girl on the first book was Angelina Jolie from Lara Croft, and I was just blown away. This is right up there with my favourite series of all time. Do not be fooled by this cover!


7. Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar – I think the cover looks a bit amateur, to be honest, so when I saw all the great reviews, I couldn’t understand them. Let me just say that this is one of the best books I’ve ever read, and it’s possibly the best contemporary I’ve ever tried. It’s stunning.


8. Tris & Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison – Holy gorgeous cover. I was blown away from the first second I received it. The content, however? Fluff. Ludicrous, absurd fluff. I rarely give 1 star reviews, but this was very nearly a DNF. I highly recommend steering clear of this one.


9. Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler – This one is more deceiving due to the title, to be honest, though the cover is still rather weak. When I picked it up, I thought it sounded, well, slutty…if we’re being honest. It’s actually incredibly powerful and sincere though and just happened to have a bit of a lackluster title.


10. Witch & Wizard by James Patterson – I remember when this one first came out and was touted as the “next Harry Potter.” Well, my withdrawals had me sufficiently weak, so I bought it. It’s horrible, guys. Absolutely horrible. There is no plot, there are no real characters and, frankly, it’s an utter waste of space.

43 comments:

  1. OMG! Halo! That book has such a deceptive cover! I mean, I was expecting great, great things and I just didn't get them! I put off reading VA for ages because I was a little vampired out (although I am a big fan of vampire fic) and the covers are nothing too special, but those books are AWESOME!  Tris and Izzie is another amazing cover but I actually didn't read that one after reading all those bad reviews. I think I saved myself a bad read there! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post today. I couldn't think of any books off of the top of my head in order to write a Top Ten post today. :( 

    I have quite a few of those books on my reading list. Vampire Academy being one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT list, Melissa! I agree with you on so many of these. So glad to know you loved Blood Red Road so much. I'm listening to it on audio book right now. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll enjoy VAMPIRE ACADEMY! It was a truly pleasant surprise for me, and it was one I definitely didn't expect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, right?!?! VA was such a great read for me, and I was so surprised that they far exceeded the covers! I'm glad I'm not the only one on HALO, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I did! It's a different sort of read, but definitely in a good way :)

    And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally have to agree on Tris & Izzie. I thought it would be full of amazing goodness and it was awful. I also couldn't finish. It made me really nervous to read her other books. I have the Princess books, but they're just sitting on my shelf because T&I left such a rotten taste in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you on pretty much all of the books you mentioned!
    Halo, boy, I so loved that cover but I once tried to read it and it was like, oh no. hell no I'm not spending that much time with this book - I have a general mistrust of first-time authors who write such long books, I'm afraid. 

    I think the only time a gorgeous cover hasn't let me down is with the Paranormalcy books. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read some of her other stuff, and it's better than T&I. It's not the best stuff in the world, but I don't think you'll hate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally have to say you're right on PARANORMALCY. That one was so fun! 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, good to know. Thanks! I'll give them a shot & just put T&I out of my head completely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO agree on 10.
    Gotta read 5 and see what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the Vampire Academy series on my list too, my favorite series of all time but, the covers are a total turn off. Great List!

    MY TTT: http://youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com/

    your newest follower,

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, Redwall by Brian Jacques is a favorite of mine too.  The world of Redwall is amazing.  I haven't read that one in a while, maybe I should reread. 

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad I'm not the only one on W&W ;)

    I think you'll enjoy BRR! Thanks, Juju!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I find myself going back to the series when I'm in a book slump. It always revives me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should see the Finnish HP covers, freaking ugly and childish. So yes I dissed them too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great choices Melissa, I felt exactly the same way about Halo, such a gorgeous cover, but the story was a huge letdown! I also loved Raw Blue, you wouldn't think that by looking at the cover it's a story which could cut you so deep!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exactly! RAW BLUE just took my breath away :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I believe it haha I rather like the US ones now, but still...wouldn't have picked them up off the shelf initially ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about Halo! You've got me really wanting to read Raw Blue. I've had my eye on it, but wasn't sure. It's totally happening now. Great post! And thanks for stopping by and following. I'm following you now too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm happy to hear that about Vampire Academy, because I also  hate vampire books but have been considering that one... so I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your blurbs! It makes me so angry when scrap novels get beautiful art and quality stories get hideous stock photography. I am trying to get over Raw Blue's cover (and honestly the title too) because too many bloggers I like have loved the story.  

    ReplyDelete
  24. I, too, thought Witch & Wizard was not as good as the hype surrounding it. In fact, I did not get past the first chapter.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ugh, Witch and Wizard- that book was the WORST. And yet, enough people liked it to warrant a series? Some things I will never, ever understand. Loved Raw Blue too, and I need to get my hands on Twenty Boy Summer, because I DO hear great things, though, yes, the premise sounds a bit "loose." Great picks:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Halo cover has sucked countless in. I endured about 10 pages of it before I had to find something, anything else to do. Tris & Izzie is the only book I've seen on Goodreads that seems to be unanimously disliked and I've been too scared to read my copy.  I completely agree on Twenty Boy Summer- the title does nothing for the story which was so very moving. I've been hunting for a copy of Raw Blue ever since I read your review. I think it's time to just commit and buy it from fishpond.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tris and Izzie is SO hard to get through. I didn't like it at all! :( I just love Blood Red Road, though. The cover isn't fantastic but the book is just so good! Great list! 

    ReplyDelete
  28. I must agree about the Water Wars and Tris & Izzie. Both great covers, but no great content. It's sad, really, how sometimes the ugly ducklings of book covers hold the best stories.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I thought the same thing about Harry Potter at first too!! Now I acknowledge my wrong ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I felt the same way about Harry Potter at first too! But now I know the wrong of my ways!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hadn't thought about Harry Potter, but that's totally true! It looks like any other silly kids' book from the cover. Who knew it would turn out to be a global phenomenon!?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, I totally agree with you on HP; it made my TTT as well! I was totally fooled into thinking it was only for little kids. Boy was I wrong...
    Also, I don't know why Halo didn't come to my mind, you are totally right about the stunning cover. :)Would love for you to take a look at my TTT:Miles to Go Before I Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was misled by Halo's beautiful cover as well! I was totally starstruck by the prettiness of it, but I was definitely not impressed by the contents, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm glad to know about Blood Red Road, I've just picked it up from the library and keep waffling back and forth as to how soon I'll read it -- but seeing the positivity makes me want to put it towards the top of the queue! I'm also sad to see that about Halo and The Water Wars, because I completely agree that those covers are beautiful.

    Thanks for stopping by my list and following, I'm very happy to return the follow, your site is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice list, Melissa! The Vampire Academy series was on mine too. I seriously underestimated those, but I'd say they are perfect vampire books for the sworn-off-vampire-books-for-life reader. They won me over, anyway! :D

    Also, wow, Tris & Izzie must be pretty bad, because yours is not the first list I've seen it on (not to mention all the negative reviews I read when it was released). The only reason I'd be tempted to read it would be to see just how terrible it really is...but that just isn't a good enough reason when there are so many other books to read, so I'll take your advice and steer clear of it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. It was really bad...I rarely demean books so forcefully, but T&I was just plain horrid!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The Water Wars, sadly, let me down, though the cover is just stunning. I totally wouldn't mind an art print of that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. It seems to be a common misconception with HALO ;)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Vampire Academy is a deceiving cover and doesn't do it's story justice. VA is so good but you wouldn't necessarily think that from the cover. Though I do think the other covers for the rest of the books are a bit better. Don't like the 1st because I also think of Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft and just don't think it resembles Rose at all, lol.

    Halo is such a pretty cover. I haven't read the whole book but I did like the descriptions of the angels at the beginning. It was refreshing to see they were real angels and not fallen angels which is more common. But can't say I was digging the story too much which is why I put it aside and will try to finish it sometime.

    HP cover is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I've seen the Vampire Academy books and The Water Wars on several of these lists - I NEED to get on the VA books and I'm saddened by what everyone is saying about The Water Wars because I've wanted to read it for so long. Tris & Izzie, sigh, yes beautiful cover. I've yet to read it just because EVERYONE says almost exactly what you say here. 

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great post! Am totally with you on Witch and Wizard. It was a flop! And I have always thought that about VA. He covers for that series are quite weak. Just added Blood Red Road to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I totally agree with The Water Wars being absolutely terrible. Also not only did I read Witch and Wizard, I read the next two as well (glutton I guess) and they were equally as bad. I haven't heard of Raw Blue, but now I am interested in reading it. I just won Vampire Academy in a hop, so I am going to be reading that soon. I have also avoided it because of the Angelina Jolie lookalike, and I read the House of Night Series and was a little over teen vampires. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover