Let's Talk: Books that Should or Shouldn't Have Sequels

Friday, August 16, 2013




Let's Talk is a weekly feature here at i swim for oceans. I think it's important that we all have our say, and there's something to be said for raising our voices. Simply put, here on the little old blog, I like to host some of my very own discussion posts because, well, I like to converse with you all.

And so, Let's Talk will feature questions or prompts, which I will answer, too. Love it or hate it, weigh in or don't, it's my hope that Let's Talk will at least get you thinking...and maybe even get you discussing with the rest of us!
What book(s) do you wish didn't have sequels (or vice versa)?


You know we've all been there. We've desperately wanted a sequel to a book that we loved so, so much. Or, on the flip side, we're desperately craving a sequel and the author is a being a tricky B and never giving us exactly what we want. (Well played, authors.) I can definitely pinpoint two books on my shelves though that stand out; one, for wishing for a sequel and the other, for wishing the sequel never happened.


A. Return to Paradise by Simone Elkeles was the much-anticipated sequel to Leaving Paradise, which is one of my favourite contemporary books of all time. And, for one who avoided contemps like the plague for the longest time, that's really saying something. So, naturally, when the second book was announced, I was decidedly gleeful. Unfortunately though, I felt that the sequel strayed from the melancholy, heartbreaking magic that made the first book soar. We lost what we loved most about Maggie and Caleb and, most sad of all, was simply the fact that every outcome I thought we might see just didn't happen. I was so, so let down. 

B. Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis was a newer read of mine that actually caught me kind of off guard...in the best possible way. I've been seriously burned off of the dystopian genre as of late, but this book really surprised me with the sparse characters, brutal honesty and a very biased viewpoint. The author makes it work though, throwing obstacles in our paths left, right and center, putting us in Lynn's shoes and making us feel her pain. While I did think the action went too fast at the end, I think it almost wrapped up what could have been a sequel. I'm both happy and sad about that because the author gave us a fitting end, but I'm left wanting more!

What about you? What books do you wish did or didn't have a sequel?

13 comments:

  1. I was dying for the sequel to If I Stay - even though I thought that book was perfect and didn't really need a sequel. But then, when the sequel happened it was just an OK read for me and I concluded that I was right in the first place...If I Stay really didn't need a sequel. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish TMI didn't have an extra three books because the original trilogy was perfect in my eyes. I'd also love a sequel for any of Sarah Dessen's books - her characters are so dear - and maybe a companion novel for The Scorpio Races because I love that world. Great post, Melissa!(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was disappointed with the sequel to Leaving Paradise too. I totally agree that it didn't have that emotional impact that the first book had.
    I also agree about Not a Drop to Drink. I seriously need a sequel to that book but then I feel like the ending is realistic and the author is brave for ending it where she did.

    Most NA books that have sequels don't really need sequels. I've complained about that on several instances. It's like the authors are trying to get as much money as possible from the success of the previous books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I'm reading Not A Drop To Drink soon, it looks so good!

    Awesome list, Melissa! <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely seems very hit or miss with sequels lately...everything has a sequel these days whether it realy "should" or not. I'm glad to hear that Not a Drop to Drink does not...I can't wait to pick that one up and I love stand alones. I just hope it stays a stand alone... (I still recall a conversation with a particular author in which I commended her for writing a stand alone and we discussed the merits...the next year she wrote a "companion" novel...oy!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know about sequels, but the fourth book in the Noughts and Crosses series was simply terrible. So bad. I couldn't believe Malorie Blackman tarnished one of the most perfect trilogies with a fourth novel. I mean, the trilogy (to me) was so perfect, and I had high hopes for the fourth but she just let me down :( she pushed it all a bit too far. I love the blog btw, so thought provoking!xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great topic! Not a Drop to Drink was a great book! It is basically everything you could want from a story. One of my favorite book.

    Ann@Blogging E-books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've yet to read Return to Paradise, but it's a shame that you didn't enjoy it. I really enjoyed the first book too, so hate it when the second book kind of drifts away entirely from the first book. However like you I absolutely adore it when a book leaves you wanting more. This has happened with me on so many occasions this year, I hope some of the authors do change their minds. Another great discussion post Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah! There've been a couple lately that I thought should be standalones (the next in the series haven't come out yet but I liked the way they ended). The Madman's Daughter is one that springs to mind. Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, too. Both well written but...meh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm actually in the middle of Not a Drop to Drink, and it's such a refreshing read in the dystopian genre, although it is a bit slow and predictable at the moment. I'm not that far in though. It's awesome that you found it ended in a good spot, although I know the feeling when you want more from an author. ;) I find that so many books don't really need a sequel. Like, Shadowlands by Kate Brian (which I just reviewed, go figure) is one that comes to mind. I went into it expecting only one book, but apparently it's a sequel. I would have been fine if it was just one book. I haven't read the sequel yet, so I may be eating these words soon. ;)

    Lovely discussion post, Melissa! I seriously get so excited when I see that little button of yours in my Bloglovin' feed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I' am looking forward to read Not a Drop to Drink. I love your Discussions, Melissa. It is always interesting and fun to read.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you about Return to Paradise. I really enjoyed Leaving Paradise but I was extremely disappointed in RTP, and that shocked me because I love Simone Elkeles!

    I haven't read Not A Drop To Drink Yet but it's on my wishlist :D

    Christy @ Christy's Book Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anytime a second book disappoints me, I kind of wish it hadn't been written. A book I would love a sequel for is Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund-I just really enjoyed the world!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover