Let's Talk: Most Anticipated Fall and Winter Books

Friday, August 9, 2013




Let's Talk is a weekly feature here at i swim for oceans. I think it's important that we all have our say, and there's something to be said for raising our voices. Simply put, here on the little old blog, I like to host some of my very own discussion posts because, well, I like to converse with you all.

And so, Let's Talk will feature questions or prompts, which I will answer, too. Love it or hate it, weigh in or don't, it's my hope that Let's Talk will at least get you thinking...and maybe even get you discussing with the rest of us!
What fall & winter books are you most looking forward to?

First of all, it's next to impossible to pick just a handful of books that I'm most looking forward to for the fall/winter 2013/2014 season, simply because there are so many awesome titles releasing. However, I did manage to pare it down to just four...though it was like pulling teeth just to do that...


A. Avalon by Mindee Arnett - So, I have a thing for crossover books and books that really test the bounds of the genres which they're supposedly a part of. This one sounds like the most perfect blend of dystopian fiction, which has been really hit or miss for me lately, and science fiction, which has really worked for me lately. Plus, the cover's to die for. 

B. Premeditated by Josin McQuein - There is something so very putrid and satisfying (two works that really shouldn't go together) about stories that involve revenge. If done well, books like these can bring out the most basic human emotions and stitch together a journey that's terrifying, painful and totally real. This book could seriously be a winner if it lives up to its synopsis and cover.

C. Ashes to Ashes by Melissa Walker - So, it's been almost a year and a half since I've read a really great paranormal story, and I've yet to read the perfect ghost book in my 3+ years of book blogging. There's something sad and lonely about this one, but just eerie and romantic enough, as well, to completely and totally capture my attention.

D. Fault Line by Christa Desir - I love gritty, realistic contemporary fiction, and lately we've had a lot to choose from within the YA market, which is super exciting. This one seems like it could very well be the perfect blend of romance, mystery, pain, friendship and overcoming obstacles. I really, really can't wait to see what this book holds for us.

What about you? What books are you most anticipating this fall and winter?

17 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    Awesome post again. I'am looking forward to read Avalon too!

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Premeditated looks AWESOME. And I'm in love with the Fault Line cover, even if I'm a little worried about how the book could go. :\

    I'm personally most excited for Parasite by Mira Grant (I need my horror/sci fi fix!), Freakboy by Kristin Elizabeth Clark, Vicious by Victoria Schwab (new adult super hero book - HELL YES) and World After by Susan Ee (I would probably sell my soul for this, omg.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, the 2013 Fall/Winter releases all sounds drop-dead amazing, I have no idea how you managed to narrow it down to four! But I like your choices. Although I thought Mindee's The Nightmare Affair was just okay, I'm super excited about her new sci-fi/dystopian book. And Premeditated sounds awesome, I LOVE revenge stories too! I still love ghost stories as well, so Ashes to Ashes sounds great. And Fault Line sounds like a good ol' contemporary! Fabulous post, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have Premeditated as well! I've only been waiting for it since the query appeared online...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait for so many titles next year, Avalon is def. on that list.

    Thanks for sharing, Melissa! <33

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO MANY AWESOME BOOKS!! Avalon is definitely on my list as is Cress and about a zillion others. Can I quit my job and just read all day? Because that's what I need to do so I can read all I want to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picks, Melissa! I know I'm really excited for Vicious by Victoria Scwab, Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan, Just One Year by Gayle Forman, and The Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes to all of these Melissa! Particularly Avalon, I'm was a huge fan of Mindee's The Nightmare Affair, so I can't wait to see what she does with this genre blend. I'd pretty much add the entirety of HarperTeen's catalog to this list, and toss in Alienated for good measure. I'm absurdly excited for that one, all the early reviews have been really positive:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm excited for all of these books except maybe for Ashes to Ashes because it's a ghost story and I don't do ghost stories. Avalon is the one that I'm mostly excited about.
    I'm with Jenny on Alienated. It's one of my most anticipated reads.
    Great list, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely appreciate this post ---- Premeditated sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once the summer series challenge concludes, I plan to get on board with these LET'S TALK friday posts! I was so excited when you started blogging again b/c I loved reading and participating.

    As for these books, I don't know much about any of them, so I'll be looking for your reviews. But I'd really like to read a Melissa Walker book. I'm looking forward to so many books that I don't know how to pick. I'm about to start ANTIGODDESS which is a fall release that I'm excited about. Oh and JUST ONE YEAR of course!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Avalon, most definitely. That book looks sooo good. I can't think of another off the top of my head right now. But that cover and killer sci-fi premise, is something that I think will attract tons of people. Hopefully the inside is as good as the out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These books all look great and I'm always looking for new books to put on my TBR list. This is my first time participating in this meme but I'm following now and look forward to next week's question.

    Thanks for hosting!
    Laura
    www.thebooknerd2013.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I have just added these books to my list. Dang it, girl! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Avalon sounds great. The ones at top of my winter/fall tbr are Project Cain by Geoffrey Girard, Just Between Us by J.H. Trumble, Made of Stars
    by Kelley York and World After by Susan Ee :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm dying to read AVALON! Sci-fi, teenage mercenaries, male protagonist...it sounds like it will be amazing!

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not sure what I'm MOST anticipating but I do want to read all four of these :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover