Let's Talk: Favourite Literary Bad Boys

Friday, August 2, 2013




Let's Talk is a weekly feature here at i swim for oceans. I think it's important that we all have our say, and there's something to be said for raising our voices. Simply put, here on the little old blog, I like to host some of my very own discussion posts because, well, I like to converse with you all.

And so, Let's Talk will feature questions or prompts, which I will answer, too. Love it or hate it, weigh in or don't, it's my hope that Let's Talk will at least get you thinking...and maybe even get you discussing with the rest of us!
Who are your all-time favourite literary bad boys?


I think I like to stump myself with my own questions, guys. Here's the thing. There's really no shortage of bad boys in literature. There really isn't. It's just a mater of who actually has redeeming qualities and who doesn't. Also, let's be honest here...looking good shirtless is also a plus, am I right?

I thought about this for a good long while and, well, I whittled it down to two. First and foremost, we have Jace Wayland from The Mortal Instruments series. He's rough around the edges, he's snarky, he's kind of a massive d*ck at times, and yet we can't help but love him. When certain...*ahem*...assumptions arose in the series, I must admit that my heart broke a little bit. Needless to say, I was really glad when we learned the ultimate truth. It made him super hot, bad and twisty all over again. Amen to that.

Then, we have the hopelessly lovable Alex Fuentes from Perfect Chemistry. He's an outsider, and he's definitely not looking to fit in, but meeting one very blonde-haired girl changes his priorities and helps him realize that he has more to offer. He's dark and brooding, steely and determined and yet, it's all for a reason. That reason makes us love him even more, if that's even possible (it is). His brother, Carlos, almost made my list. Almost.

My runners-up were a bit all over the place. Professor Snape because, let's get real here, he's a badass through and through, despite the fact that 90% of the time, he's just an ass. Also, he's not so much a boy and moreso a man...hmmm. Finnick Odair because he's a saucy little minx. Can you call a man a minx?  And, finally, Adrian Ivashkov from Vampire Academy because though he's sassy, sexy, a total flirt, and you can't help but be drawn to him.

What about you? Who are your favourite literary bad boys? 

21 comments:

  1. When I first saw this question I was all like 'Crap! I HATE bad boys!'

    But then I thought of one I actually like.

    Most of the time they just don't appeal to me. i like the sweet, mature kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I hate them at times, but at other times, I hate to love them, you know? Let's be real though...I hate them in real life ;)

      Delete
  2. Ha! I love ALL the bad boys! Adrian Ivashkov is probably my number one, although then there's Noah Shaw - I LOVE that guy. Cole St. Clair is another one that I can't get enough of. I could go on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian! Definitely! I almossssttt put him, but I tried to whittle it down to two for a change haha!

      Delete
  3. Carlos was definitely more of an ass for a while, but there was something so much sexier about Alex. Gahhh love him! And YES to Adrian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the alpha bad boy with a tender streak. SO many good ones in YA today -- and so many really stinky bad boys. It's a fine line to walk, especially when the character has alpha tendencies but when a bad boy is just plain bad or douchey, that's when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really are so many! But yes, I totally agree. There's a reason guys like Patch don't show up on this list. They're just horrible d-bags.

      Delete
  5. Yes, yes, yes! I usually hate bad boys, but these boys you chose are actually very sweet underneath all their attitude:) I haven't read Perfect Chemistry, so I don't know about Alex, but I love the rest! Although Will from the Infernal Devices is my all-time favourite sweet/bad boy:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "There's really no shortage of bad boys in literature. There really isn't. It's just a mater of who actually has redeeming qualities and who doesn't. "

    This! I'm not the biggest fan of bad boys. I'm more of a good boys kind of girl too but I can enjoy a bad boy if he has redeeming qualities.
    I can't stand those guys who are just giant asses. Have you met Daemon from Obsidian and Travis from Beautiful Disaster? While Daemon did grow up as the series progressed he was such a jerk to the MC. I just hated him and didn't see why everyone was fangirling over him. Same for Travis. He had temper tantrums and was so annoyingly possessive. I mean possessive guys can be attractive but to the point where they tell you that the clothes you're wearing are inappropriate because it will attract attention? Nopes.

    Alex and Adrian both feature in both our lists! :D Those were the first two that I immediately thought of! :)

    LOL! Yes, Finnick is totally a minx! Haha! :D

    Great post, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ALL the guys you mentioned and am pleasantly surprised to see Snape make the list! In a very non-traditional sense, he IS a literary bad boy who we all come to love. I really enjoyed his mention. Fantastic post as always, Melissa!(:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun list, Oh yes Adrian definitely has to be on there. I haven't read a good bad boy book in awhile. I need a new fix. My all time fav bad boy is still Rhett Butler from Gone with the Wind. Happy Weekend, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for Snape and Finnick:) I don't know the others...must read Mortal Instruments #1 soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, I'm starting to think I should go along with your meme, there are some great topics for this month that I saw. *ponders* Anyhoo, Nico would totally be on my list here! And don't forget Jem from TID... and Chaol from Throne of Glass.. and Christian and Augustus... yeah. I have quite a list.

    Lovely post, Melissa! <33

    ReplyDelete
  11. Professor Snape! <333 And I also loved Finnick.
    I have such a soft spot for bad boys! Some of my favorites are Reyes (from the Charley Davidson series), Kai(from the Sweet Evil books) and Raffe (Angelfall)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love Jace from TMI! I was a bit heartbroken when that certain assumption was made, but it was so relieving to finally figure out the truth. I also really like Noah from Pushing the Limits and Kaidan from Sweet Evil. Both are super swoon worthy, yet have their fair share of swoon-worthy and redeeming qualities! <3

    Awesome post, Melissa!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always think I know the answer to this question, but I can never seem to think of many on the spot! I suppose Jace would be one for me too... And perhaps Noah Shaw and Cole from Everneath. I'm sure there are many more. :D Great post, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I kind of zoned out for a moment there (I blame the photos of attractive young men - they are very distracting)! I'm not the biggest fan of Clare's work, but I did like Jace! And agreed about Professor Snape, Finnick Odair (I think he's the only man you can call a saucy little minx, if only because it suits him), and Adrian Ivashkov (he grew on me by the end of VA, so I adore him now).

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really tend to like bad boys but I saw someone mention Rhett Butler and I can certainly get on board with that selection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you put Snape on this list. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover