The Pace Review

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Title: The Pace
Author: Shelena Shorts
Publisher: Lands Atlantic Publishing
Published: August 19, 2009
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Fantasy
Pages: 302
Source: Personal Copy

Nineteen-year-old Weston has everything. He's super hot, mysterious, dangerous, sincere, and vulnerable. He’s also a one-of-a-kind evolution that will change the idea of immortality forever. Anyone would be drawn to him, even without fate's intervention, and when eighteen-year-old Sophie crashes into him, there's no turning back.

All that remains is figuring out who, or what, he is, and with a little perseverance, she'll find out the indelible truth—right along with a century-old secret...and a threat for which neither of them are prepared.

Intensely fascinating and rich with determination, The Pace brings together romance, mystery, and suspense in a compelling bond that will have readers asking for more.
Sophie knows that Weston has a secret. Somehow, he’s different from other boys his age, and she wants to know why. She’s new to California, and there’s something about Wes that resonates, and it’s something she’s drawn to discover. He’s attractive, yes, but there’s more. As Sophie gets to know Wes, she starts to realize that Wes doesn’t have a singular secret, but several. As Sophie discovers more about Wes, she grows closer to him, and a relationship begins to bloom, but the secrets might be too much to conquer. And time might be to twisted to keep their budding romance alive.

The Pace was completely and utterly refreshing in a sea of YA that is so formulaic. Usually, we get these “Boy meets girl. Boy and girl fall madly in love. Boy and girl can’t live without one another.” Blah. Yawn. The Pace, however, took your average YA formula, turned it on its end, added two dynamic and powerful characters, and threw science, destiny, love and time into a beautiful and haunting story. Author Shelena Shorts has redeemed your YA love story with a rich plot, endearing characters and a powerful message that stays with you.

Sophie was truly a fantastic character. I loved that she was strong and independent, and she wasn’t the least bit wishy-washy! Her voice was honest and had hints of vulnerability, but she never seemed weak – just approachable. Wes was your handsome YA male, but he had depth (thank the Lord!). He had this honest demeanor despite his secrets, and I loved watching the actual relationship between the two characters develop. Most of all though, time was a character, and single action in The Pace had a legitimate reaction. I could actually see the first events in the novel lead to the last, twirling the characters on this mysterious and tumultuous roller-coaster ride.

I am absolutely blown away by The Pace. I expected a pretty good read from the premise, but I didn’t expect it to be that good, and the ending just killed me. I can’t wait to read book two, The Broken Lake. I give The Pace a 4.5 out of 5 (the only deduction being the mildly average premise), and I’d recommend it to all fans of YA, especially those who enjoy fantasy and sci-fi.

28 comments:

  1. Awesome; I get a new book to add to my wishlist! I can't wait to find out what Wes' secrets are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was curious about the book. I am glad to know it's good and is different from the usual YA books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wohoo another book that blew you away. Sounds good to me :) I really must read more YA soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read this book. Okay, so sci fi and fantasy are not my favourite genres, but a hot (mysterious) guy with depth is a good reason to read this. lol. And it does sounds very unique and different! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds very interesting. Nice for something different. Is it told from the girl's perspective or the guy's? Nice to see characters with depth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, as said by your other commenters, this is another to add to my ever growing wishlist. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually I am no fan of sci-fi, but you so make me want to read The Pace, really! You not only added a comment on my wishlist post, but another item to my wishlist:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! You rarely give out 4.5!!! I will definitely check this one out because of your awesome review :) I love your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so good Melissa! Thanks for the great review... I have added it to my TBR pile!
    Have a nice weekend!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man! I've been trying to get this every time I'm at Barnes and Noble and they're never carrying it in the store. Guess I'll have to order it online. It's been on my TBR list for too long now.

    Great review! :]

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first thing that caught me is that Weston is 19 - a little older for a YA and I bet refreshing! Great review girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard of this book before but after reading your review I really want to check it out. I love independant and strong main characters, and definitely wouldn't mind some more sci-fi (well, after reading Across the Univers, I think I might like the genre, haha!) Great review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked Sophie too and I liked the unique twist that Shelena put on the book.
    Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the review Melissa! I've seen this book around a lot and haven't thought much of it, but that's going to have to change:)
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review Melissa. I haven't heard of this novel before but I will be adding it to my Book Wish List. This sounds like my kind of novel :D

    I'm a new follower and love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohoo! A YA book that's not formulaic. That's enough to put this on my to-read list. Plus a 4.5 out of 5? Pretty solid rating. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sold. Totally. Thanks for reviewing this one! BTW the cover is not formulaic either!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Pace is pretty awesome and I am not a fan of sci-fi/fantasy. I love the concept and Sophie and Wes of course. Another brilliant review Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard amazing things from this one and your review just goes on to confirm it! These really look great and I'm glad to hear that there's not an overdose of ridiculously paced romance. Great review. :)
    -Sas

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review of a book I've never heard of but am dying to read now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sophie sounds like a wonderful character! Wow, I'll definitely have to find this book somewhere,

    Great review, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What really sucks is having to wait so long for the next book in the series! I haven't heard of this one at all. You are always finding little gems. I'll have to seek this one out. Thanks for the great review!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds good! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh, I haven't heard too much about this one, but it sounds really good. Sophie sounds like a great main character- I love that she's strong and not wishy-washy (aren't wishy-washy characters always the worst?). Anyhow, I'll have to pick it up sometime. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't think I have ever heard of this book but I'm always looking for a new twist in YA. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. You made this sound fresh and fantastic. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I have to admit I've never even heard of this one before! It makes me really excited to hear you didn't think it was another formulaic YA read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover