Waiting on Wednesday 2/16

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine, and specifically spotlights upcoming novels we can't wait to read. As always, there are some amazing upcoming books, but this week I'm particularly excited for...

Title: Blood Red Road
Author: Moira Young
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Published: June 7, 2011
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Pages: 448

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.
Action? Check. Epic love? Check. Crazy/freaky dystopian world? Check. Haunting cover? Check check check! We all know I judge with my eyes first (it's a disease), but Blood Red Road seems to have a little bit everything that I love in YA literature, and it's right on track with my new dystopian obsession. This sounds a bit dangerous and exciting - both of which could very well lead to a fantastic read! What do you think, and what are you waiting on this week?

35 comments:

  1. Another YA dystpian novel! How great! I am ading this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really, really awesome! I'll definitely add this one on my TBR list! Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dystopia fiction and can't wait to get my hands on this either. Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, this sounds mega intriguing! That synopsis - definitely got me hooked. Great pick!

    Here's my WoW: http://crackaspinebookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/02/waiting-on-wednesday-3-but-i-love-him.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems really interesting, this one - thanks for your wish! BTW don't miss my first spring giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the second time I've seen this one featured this week and it's definitely got my interests piqued! Great pick!

    Check out my WOW this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like something different. And poetic, minimalist writing is usually a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound interesting - I love a good dystopian novel, and this one has a great hook.

    I have 3 picks in my WOW this week . . . just because I'm greedy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your WoW's are always books that I am desperate to read. Blood Red Road sounds so good and after reading the first chapter online, I am desperate to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't heard of this one but it sounds very interesting. I've already added it to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blood Red Road sounds like it's going to be good. And it's one that I'm going to have to check out ha ha. I love WoW because I always find at least a dozen new books I want and this is one of them! ha ha.

    My Waiting on Wednesday is:
    http://faybaysbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woah. That was a lot to take in just in that summary! This one sounds interesting. I'll be curious to read some reviews on it though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds really intriguing! I hope you get your hands on it soon so that we can see your fantabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love dystopian!! The synopsis was super detailed and it seems like it's got a combo of everything - great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heard really great things about this book and it's definitely on my list. Cannot wait!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've really been enjoying all the dystopian out there lately - especially the ones with a fierce female lead. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you and Carissa both picked this one today and it sounds absolutely amazing. I'm really excited for this one now though June feels very far away! Brilliant choice Melissa:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard this is the best dystopian out there. Even better than Hunger Games. Hmmm, we'll see. Definitely a must read!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, this one looks awesome! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too bad June is so far away still. This one sounds interesting. Will definitely need to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yes..I saw this one a few days ago, it looks good and I heard its already going to be a movie. Im looking forward to this one and that Tris and Izzie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It does sound good, but I am really starting to feel that the publishers are milking this dystopian thing too much

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks good, I will be adding it to my list!
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmmmm.... I don't think I've heard of this novel until now! There are so many dystopian novels this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh this one sounds awesome. I have to admit that I was pretty much ignoring this novel because of its cover (bad, I know), but reading the synopsis has me changing my mind. Adding it to my TBR pile :) Great pick Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  26. VERY cool pick. I love the cover. I can't wait for you to read and review this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This totally sounds like a book for me! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm totally looking forward to this one, too. Like, REALLY. It sounds fantastic. Nice choice!

    If you'd like, you can check out my WoW post here.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This book sounds so awesome! Love dystopian. I read a sneak peek of it online. The cover is so cool. I couldn't imagine living in constant sandstorms. I live in Arizona and when they come, even briefly, it's a mess! Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hadn't heard of this one until now and it seems awesome !! Thank you Melissa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. seriously, you find the most random, but awesome books for this feature. Can't wait to read this, sounds so great. Happy reading Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Girl you always have some new book I have not heard about. And its dypostian. My fave genre right now. Thanks once again for putting this book on my radar!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yay for Dystopian!!!! Awesome pick, totally adding this to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover