Talk to Me Tuesday #6 - What Makes a Great Novel

Tuesday, February 8, 2011






Talk to Me Tuesday is a brand new weekly meme where we will discuss anything (and everything) literary-related in an open forum of honesty. Questions for the next week will be posted one week prior to the post on the Features page. If you'd like to participate in this weekly feature, simply create your post, link back to me, and add your post to the wonderful Mr. Linky below. Have fun, and have at it!
This week's question: What makes a great novel, in your opinion?

It’s kind of like the age-old question for book reviewers and book nerds, alike. What makes the perfect book for you? What makes you want to read a book again, and again, and again? I sat down the other day and decided to analyze it, and I decided it’s a bit like a trifecta for me. Three things (mainly) make a book great for me, and when just a single element is lacking, a book lags in my opinion and slips in my reviews.

First, I need great characters. I need them to be well-rounded and motivated in the sense that there is a reason they exist in the book. For example, in a book like Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson, we were given Lea, an emotionally troubled girl desperate to vanish from the face of the earth through her disease, anorexia. She is haunted by a pact she made with her best friend, determined to continue her own destruction for fear of failure, and hell-bent on being the best at something, even if it means her ultimate demise. There are, however, characters that are too surface-level for me, and leave me wishing a book was stronger in that element. A perfect example for me in this case is Bridget from Here Lies Bridget by Paige Harbison. She’s promising, yes, but I never felt like her character ever really broke through her mean-girl stereotype except for self-survival.

Then, we have the plot. This is arguably the most important element of the story because without a sturdy and steady plot, there is no pace, and without the pace, let’s be honest…the whole book falls to pieces. Every plot is different (obviously), but every plot needs its share of background, a good flow, and a climax. For me, a great example of an awesome plot is that of Dark Song by Gail Giles. It starts with a spoiled little rich girl, rips her from her roots, throws in a bad influence, and leads to something that could very well destroy a family and a life. It moves steadily and consistently without lulls and major plot holes. A lot of books, unfortunately miss the mark with the climax. A prime example of an unfortunate fail for me was Witch & Wizard by James Patterson. It’s bland, boring, and spends too much time on minute and obscure details to ever get going. It promises a powerful premise but falls hopelessly short.

Last, there’s the writing style and voice. In YA literature, which I primarily read and review, there’s a delicate balance that must be upheld at all times. There’s a misconception that YA lit needs to be dumbed down and writing in blah/boring terms because the people who read YA are sans education or far too young. Contrary to what one might think, we can handle seriousness and great prose. We can analyze the themes properly. Some books, like Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers, respect this and challenge our minds. Other books, like Trapped by Michael Northrop, miss the mark because they simple err on the side of youth, forgetting that we’re every bit as capable of reading and understanding powerful books and messages.

Here's what some of your fellow bloggers said makes a great novel for them:

The Book Vixen says, "It pulls me in from the get-go, never let's me go, and keeps me thinking about it long after the last page has been turned."
Linds from Bibliophile Brouhaha says, "A GREAT novel? One that takes you on the character's journey. When the story is so compelling, the voice so authentic, and the writing so solid, that you've become the character and the journey is your own."
Ginger from GReads says, "When the writer makes you forget that you're reading words on a page & the story takes a life of it's own inside your mind."
Obviously, these are my personal opinions, but without any of these elements, I have to deduct points in my reviews, which (I believe) my readers can attest to. I take no pleasure in tearing books down, but I do take great pleasure in reading challenging and unique books. Luckily for us, there are a great many fabulous books on the market today and, therefore, there is no shortage of fantastic reading.

Want to weigh in and do your own Talk to Me Tuesday post for this week? Go ahead and link up!

28 comments:

  1. Nice assessment! I cannot even begin to describe how discouraging and patronizing it is when I pick up a YA novel and find the writing style and diction dumbed down to a fourth grade reading level. It doesn't matter if the plot itself is great, and the characters relatable, if I feel like the author is talking down to YA readers there is just no chance of me enjoying the story. Probably the only thing I would add to your list is a certain undefinable quality that a book has when I find myself really and truly loving it. For me it's always been about how a book makes me feel. Sometimes there really isn't any rhyme or reason to it. Books are like people in that way, I think. Unpredictable, surprising. I think that's why I always have a hard time reviewing books that I love! I start babbling and feeling giddy, and then nothing comes out right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all of the elements you named are very important to me too. I'm having a hard time deciding which one I think is the most important though: characters, plot, or writing. Ultimately, a great novel needs all of these things to work, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic again! I agree with you completely especially about it needing to have a voice. A great novel should get you thinking about the message they have :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a combination of all the elements mentioned but it also has to have that extra spark that keeps you utterly engrossed so that you are in the world of the book and it really comes alive in your mind. Sometimes you love a book so much that it can be incredibly difficult to place your finger on exactly why that is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous topic, Melissa - I can only repeat after Stephanie that a great book is a combination of all the elements mentioned by you. I would like to add it is a book which not only amuses you and keeps you interested long after you have finished it but also one that has a real influence on your outlook on life. In short a book that gives you a precious lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with everything you said. What is most important for me is the character development - I need to connect to the characters. Even if the plot is lacking, great writing and good characterization can always make up for it. I like more character-driven novels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in complete agreement with all of your opinions. Characters, plot, writing style, and pace are SO important. A lot of times, if I feel that I'm not going to enjoy book for a long time before it gets to something good, I stop reading, which kills me to do so. As a reader long before I was a writer (and I'm pretty sure we're all like this) I try to apply the things I know I like in a novel to my writing, such as the things you mentioned, so that if someone else reads it, they'll enjoy it.

    Thanks, Melissa! Great new meme!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think what differentiates a great book from a good book is all the things you mentioned but also something less tangible. It has to stick with you. This can be done numerous ways. Often it's by some rather sad or haunting theme. I think of Jellicoe Road. Other times it is characters who just get under your skin so much that they won't leave. I think of Anna and the French Kiss. Other times, it's fun plots and interesting little tidbits in a book. I think of The President's Daughter by Ellen Emerson White. Sometimes, it's completely intangible - there's no reason that really stands out, but the book is somehow unforgettable. The Mozart Season by Virginia Euwer Wolff is such a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree about Courtney Summers writing style. She belongs in a class of her own when it comes to YA. She makes you THINK & FEEL & go way BEYOND just a story in a book. I love that. It's writers like her that make me keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must have good characters I can either relate to, enjoy spending time with, or find amusing or insightful.

    GREAT post :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes to all three! Characters will always be first on my list even though a dynamic and engaging plot is vital, but they are what wins me over in a story and they are what haunts me after so I can be forgiving of a sometimes lackluster plot if I'm attached to the characters. Love these topics each week Melissa! And I couldn't agree more on not dumbing YA down, hate it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first for me is plot...due to the fact thats why I pick a book up- although sometimes a synopsis can mislead you. Secondly I need a character to relate to or just be friends with during the read so I can have an investment in the novel.

    We will have to agree to disagree about Some Girls Are...I really hated that book..:(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes to all of these! I have to say the characters are the most important for me too - if I can't connect with them, it's no bueno. You gave a perfect example with Here Lies Bridget. I simply could not feel for her and it ruined the book for me. Great topic this week Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Melissa!

    I realized this morning I wasn't following you, so I'm here to link my Talk To Me Tuesday post and follow. (That would explain why I always had to search out your posts instead of seeing them on my dashboard. duh)

    Agree with all your reasons. Love this topic!

    Selena
    The Enchanted Book

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, as always - I think you nailed it on the head in terms of what elements are important, and I love that you used Courtney Summers as an example. I haven't read Some Girls Are, but I recently read Fall for Anything, and it was a really good book! Eddie certainly was a very authentic character.

    Thanks, also, for quoting me - happy to contribute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never know the answer to this one..the plot, the characters, the little things :) It all depend on the book

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice discussion. I agree with you on all points. I like that you highlighted the writing style and voice.

    For me I have two types of great books. One is the kind that has characters I simply adore. These are usually fun fantasy books with a touch of romance like Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken. The other type are books that touch me in some way, whether it's through emotional impact or by making me think. Books like The Adoration of Jenna Fox or The Julian Game fall into this category.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, Melissa, but I have found that even "promising" characters have surprised me. I have found the characters don't have to have themselves completely figured out for me to feel drawn the them, especially for those that don't realize their potential, but if they give me something I can work with, then I'm good.

    Loved the quote from Linds!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have nothing to add. You said it all! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree, but I also think that a great novel needs a unique plot line (one that has never been seen before) or a new take on a commonly used plot (*cough, cough, those vampires that you clearly love so much... HA!).

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. All the things you mentioned are definitely important to me. I totally need character connection - if I can't connect with the MC, then books don't usually work for me. Also, I'm really into novels that have a real depth of characterisation, so I'd definitely put that up there. Of course, plot is also of paramount importance, and a little hot romance never goes amiss either! I don't need romance in *every* book I read, but it's always nice! :)

    Really interesting discussion post as always. You rock at these!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great discussion topic and answer! I think you hit it right on the head, especially talking about writing styles and Summers novel. I haven't read that one but I imagined Cracked Up To Be was the exact same way. She writes complex characters with complex emotions and I love her for it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with all of these. Especially the part about not being dumbed down for YA readers. Every time people see me with a YA novel they sort of roll their eyes (okay I am carrying them around in an academic setting where people are reading all Faust, Nietzche and Jonathon Swift and I'm carrying around Matched) but I think that might be some sort of automatic prejudice people have against YA novels. Anyway, prose is so very important. I don't know if you have read her before but try Jaclyn Moriarty. As far as prose goes, she's awesome. Like beyond the world awesome. In a totally fun manner.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read the three books you listed, and I own two of them lol I need to step up my game!

    A great novel is something I can get completely lost in. I feel a connection to the characters, and I can clearly see myself in their surroundings. I can sympathize or understand what they are going through, and I become emotionally attached to the book as a whole :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have to agree with all 3 points! Also, if a book speaks to me on a personal level... really deep... gives me an ah hah moment, then I'm completely sold! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post, melissa! characters come first for me too!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You nailed the dot on the head with this one, Melissa! Definitely! If I can't get into the characters, or at least understand them on some basic level, I'm definitely not going to be reading an entire book about them. And where would characters be without plot, right? I've been sort of reviewing my books based on a loose structure of your list - and I DEFINITELY would deduct points off if a book was lacking in one of a few of these areas.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great post! I look forward to taking part in Talk to Me Tuesday again. Hopefully next week. I've never read Wintergirls, but been interested in it. Dark Song sounds like a good read, too. I go for plot first, then characters, and last theme. If all or any fall short then I usually don't care for the book. Sometimes I feel like some writers try to hard with voice. Or they go off message and it becomes a different book all together. A book I read just recently did that. I definitely have to connect with the main character.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover