Across the Universe Review (Spoiler-Free!)

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Publisher: Razorbill
Published: January 11, 2011
Genre: YA, Dystopian, Sci-Fi
Pages: 398
Source: Personal Copy

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
Amy is just a mere piece of the puzzle and cargo on board the Godspeed, a ship of hundreds of people held in a cryostatic sleep until they reach a new planet for their new lives 300 years in the future. Something goes wrong though, and Amy wakes up, far earlier than she should have. It’s supposedly a computer malfunction, but it becomes apparent that someone was actually behind it. She wasn’t meant to live. She was supposed to die. Now Amy’s on a ship of thousands of inhabitants with a life or death mystery on her hands. Someone’s after her, and they might be after her next. Who can she trust, and how will she know she can trust them?

Across the Universe is one of those books that has been hyped from day one. I’ve heard SO much about it, and part of the reason I held off reading it was because I didn’t want it to fall short of the rave reviews. Beth Revis has created a gorgeous, haunting and oddly beautiful and terrifying world within Across the Universe. She has a flowing writing voice – easy to follow and fluid, taking you from event to event in a harrowing plot filled with twists and turns that kept me guessing the whole time.

While I definitely agree that the world within Across the Universe is incredible, weaving an amazing background into the forefront of the story, even though it’s in a future and somewhat sci-fi realm. I felt like I was onboard the Godspeed with Amy, and I loved that I could put myself in her shoes. She’s definitely a relatable character. I also really enjoyed the dual perspectives between Elder and Amy. It let me so the story from two angles, providing more depth and adding tension to the mystery. I also really appreciated a hint of humour that was added by Harley, adding a nice lighthearted touch. That said though, I guess I was expecting a little more romance in Across the Universe, and I felt that it was pretty flat in that department. I also felt a little unsatisfied with the end – in fact, I kind of felt hollow when it was done.

All in all, Across the Universe is a well-written debut with great characters and a plot that moves well – all of which temper the pretty significant flaws. I enjoyed it for the most part, and I give it a high 3.5 out of 5. I’d recommend Across the Universe to fans of YA, sci-fi and dystopian stories.

34 comments:

  1. Glad to hear a review that isn't identical to all the rest. I'm all for books with less romance in them. As much as I love a good romance, some variety is always nice. But I hate when a book is billed as a romance and it just doesn't pan out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review. I'm glad to hear you liked it. :D I've been wondering if I should read it. Since I like those sci fi backgrounds and a little of romance in one. I think I might. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading this one right now and I'm liking it so far! I definitely agree that Beth Revis has done a fabulous job creating her world for this book. Good to know that not a whole lot of romance goes on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always afraid of hype with books but to me Across The Universe lived up to it. Great review and glad you mostly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had an ARC copy of this for several months and actually began reading it once and stopped. Like you I kinda got turned off with all the hype and have been holding off picking it back up because of the overwhelming hype. I am glad that you found it a good story, but also recognize that it was not as good as many others have found it and I appreciate your honest evaluation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Nic, hype scares me sometimes! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm I do like the Dystopian genre, so I might give this one a try. Also as much as I tend to stay away from the Scifi genre, I really can't resist this lovely cover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I had a grip with the switching POV's. For me it didn't flow well. But I did love the description of everything. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am waiting for my copy to arrive, but I'm a little bit scared to read this one. There is so many hype around this story that it's good to read a different review for it. One that's not all hyper about it. ;) Really 3.5? WOW> :) Still I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See I thought by the cover that there would be some hot romance in the novel...:)

    Im still looking forward to reading it, just waiting for the hype to die down a bit! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lack of romance is always a plus for me. Thanks for the honest (and spoiler free) review, I'm really looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flat romance?!?
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    Seriously, what am I going to do with myself if the romance isn't fantabulous?!?
    Well anyways, thanks for the review Melissa (and making it spoiler free)- I hope to read this book next week during spring break!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's exactly how I felt Melissa! The romance just wasn't there for me and I think because of the cover and some of the little blurbs I've seen around it was hyped up to be more of a romance so I was expecting more of Amy and Elder! I think if it wasn't marketed as a romance, I wouldn't have minded their lack of connection and could have focused more on the mystery element and the world:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally agree with you in terms of the end of the novel. I really didn't know what to feel after I finished it. It wasn't happy, that's for sure. I think as long as bloggers get the word out that it isn't a romance (because the book jacket makes it look like it is!), people might enjoy this novel more... I love how we're all like, 'it was a good novel, just with problems!'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I started AtU, but didn't finish it. I just couldn't get into it at all, and I hate to feel bored while reading. I've promised myself to revisit it one day, but the flat romance you described don't make me very excited. :|

    But thanks for sharing your honest thoughts, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice review! Not sure this book is for me though, not a big dystopian fan. And if there isn't enough romance in books it doesn't keep me interested for long :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still have this one to read and I keep seeing middle-to-raving reviews. Thanks for being honest :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, 3.5 ? ;) Well I'm glad to hear you like it despite an end that, that's true, can disappoint!
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your honesty is really good and refreshing - looking at the cover I would bet it is a romance novel...thanks for showing its weak and strong points!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice review. I am still a bit, oh I just can't make my mind up. The book seems to have its flaws

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definitely agree with your review. I expected to LOVE the romance, and for the part of it was there, I just ... didn't. The mystery part and lots of other things about the book were interesting, but a lot of it just felt off to me. I didn't connect with the characters much, besides just feeling insanely bad for Amy. Or I guess that's not totally true, because I loved Harley - he was my favourite character, which, you know, kind of became problematic. :/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'll be reading this one soon, and I've been trying to hold off on reading reviews since I don't want this book all hyped up for me! I've seen a lot of five-starred reviews, so it was nice to read your one. I don't like sci-fi, but I'm going to give this one a try. Sorry to hear that the romance doesn't quite live up to expectations, though. :/

    ReplyDelete
  23. O I loved that it didn't have too much romance. I like that their feelings are still budding.

    Great great review my friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great review Melissa -- this isn't my kind of book, but I am always fascinated to see how books like this that have gotten SO much play in the blogosphere, actually are received by readers...I think this was on a hundred Waiting on Wednesday type wishlists, but I haven't seen alot of reviews yet...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with you about the ending. I didn't like it either. I was wondering if the author had taken this to an adult level than YA, just think of how dark it could have been. That is one I really want to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree that it could've used a little more romance, but overall I really enjoyed it! Great review Melissa:)
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for the not raving review. Very pragmatic and thorough! :D I've been reading so many other reviews that just rave and gush and, truthfully, I didn't like it all that much. It was just very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that you extracted the pros and cons of this book. I've only heard of the positive ones so far, so I am glad to read some of the cons as well (Let's face fact: there is no book in this world that will suit every readers. At least, I think so *lol*).

    I am still going to read this book soon as I've started to fall in love in anything dystopian. So, we shall see if I end up gushing over it or otherwise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your review of the book. I agree with Shy above - you've put the good and the bad points. I have the book and am looking forward to reading it. Truthfully speaking, lack of romance doesn't bother me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree, I had trouble connecting with the characters (and Amy seriously annoyed me at times...) but Godspeeed/the setting was amazing. Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This one has been on my list for awhile, though I too was a bit skeptical about all the hype. However, since you liked it so much, I think I'll give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great review! I think that, personally, I might actually enjoy a book that is a little less heavy on the romance. But the world sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am currently reading this book. For some reason I can't seem to get myself into it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover