Waiting on Wednesday 12/22

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine, and specifically spotlights upcoming novels we can't wait to read. As always, there are some amazing upcoming books, but this week I'm particularly excited for...

Title: Witch Eyes
Author: Scott Tracey
Release Date: 2011 (release date unknown)
Publisher: Flux


Braden Michaels wears his sunglasses at night. And at the movies. And in the shower. Raised by his warlock uncle and taught to use magic, he suffers from a deadly curse: the witch eyes. He sees everything that normal eyes filter out: history and memory; love and pain; magic and darkness. The mind, however, was not meant to process so much, and the power is killing him slowly. The only thing saving his sanity are the sunglasses he always wears.

And then the visions reveal a dark threat on the horizon. Braden runs away to Belle Dam, the city where the threat originated, and is immediately swept up into the town’s mysterious feud. Two rival magical families have divided the town into a personal chessboard of scheming and machinations, and Braden is their latest pawn. As he tries to avoid their manipulations, and see the truth behind his return to Belle Dam, he has a choice to make. One side, or the other. Ignite the feud, or end it. Sacrifice himself, or someone else. Live, or die.

Taken from Goodreads.

Confession #1 – I have a fascination with witches. Confession #2 – I don’t think I’ve ever read a book where the protag is gay. That’s not to say I’ve avoided such books, but in a world of paranormal stories, I’ve yet to find one with a gay MC. Though I saw someone outwardly state that this would “ruin” the book, I for one, am incredibly excited to read Witch Eyes! The premise is original, fun, and I love the sound of it. Plus, I’m drooling over those cover colours and the design. This book is made of win, and I can’t wait to see if it lives up! What do you think…and what are you waiting on this week?

------------------------------

A quick closing note - Thank you SO much for nominating me for Best Blog in the 2010 Reader's Choice Awards at Mindful Musings! I am incredibly flattered and humbled, and it's an honour to even be listed with such amazing blogs. Be sure to check out all amazing nominees here!

31 comments:

  1. Wow a male protagonist who is a witch ( witcher?, well whatever )and gay...cover is not bad either. Good wish!

    Mine is here - a bit less original but still steampunk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so this cover and knew I had to read it. This book looks great. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh ohhh ohhh. This sounds amazing. And fear not, I don't think I've eer read a book with a gay protagonist either.. I can't remember, so I am going to say no. I also have a thing for witch books :) Great choice Melissa!

    Sarah
    That Bookish Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. What?! someone actually said this book wouldn't be good b/c the main character was a gay witch?! That actually intrigues me more! Good pick this week, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fascinated by witches too! I've never read or at least heard a book where the main protagonist is gay, either.I'll be waiting for this one, thanks for sharing, Melissa! :')

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks very intriguing. I love witches too and a male protagonist definitely wanting this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover! Very creepy and witchy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for us and our fascination with witches! This one is new to me and I now am going to be waiting on it as well:) I'm with you on the cover - it's creepy and gorgeous and I love the colors. Fabulous pick Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one sounds like it could be fun and different (yay for differences)! Great find. You might like my pick as well...definitely something different than the normal YA books.
    Our pick is at BookSake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, this one is new to me. I also love witchy things!

    I can't believe somebody said that a gay male character would ruin the book. What?!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a great book! Great pick! My WoW is at Coffee Table Press

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love me some witches too so this is awesome! I haven't heard of this book before but it is definitely going on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard until this one until now!!
    Definitely adding it to the ever growing TBR list :)

    -Serena

    ReplyDelete
  14. That book sounds great. I am definitely putting it on my TBR list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the nomination :D Yay, go you :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love witches, and this cover!

    Many congrats on your award nomination! You definitely deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read from the pov of a gay main character, so it will be interesting. That cover is kind of spooky. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How to Knit a Heart Back Home
    By Rachael Herron
    Publication date: March 1, 2011

    Lucy Harrison sells books by day and volunteers with the Cypress Hollow fire department by night. Her life is just the way she likes it—full, even-keeled, and smooth—until bad-boy ex-cop Owen Bancroft comes back to town. Lucy has always been fearless, never scared about diving in to help others. When it comes to risking her heart, however, she realizes she's absolutely terrified.

    In a small town like Cypress Hollow, everyone knows your business—and there is nowhere to hide. Then Lucy and Owen are thrown together by the discovery of the lost work of local legend, knitting guru Eliza Carpenter. Now Owen, adrift and struggling to redefine himself as a civilian without a badge, will have to learn how to open himself up to life's new possibilities . . . while Lucy decides just how much of herself she's willing to gamble on love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I will have to put this one on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't heard about this but the description sounds really interesting. Thanks for letting me know about it.

    P.S. I liked the little confessions and totally agree with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’m intrigued :) As a fellow fan of witches this is going on the wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to say LUV the cover!! its gorgeous and two the premise has me intrigued so on it goes my list that will never end lol.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haven't heard of that book. The cover is striking! Sounds like an interesting read.

    Also congrats on getting nominated for best book blog. Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Creepy cover. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like the idea of "witch eyes" seeing things others don't, but it being a power that is slowly killing him. Neat!

    And congrats on the nomination Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh! I've not heard of this book! It sounds really interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Okay, that cover is fabulous! Plus, it seems lately that most of the YA books are told from a female point of view. Even when they are written by men. I think this will be a nice change up to the norm. I think that all the differences will make it way more interesting. I need something to break through the wall of symmetry that has been created as of late by authors. Plus, that cover is Hot!

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great pick, the cover is sooo cool! ps. you totally deserve the nom!!! (and the win!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG! This cover is totally drool worthy! Adding this to my GR TBR.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd heard of this but didn't know the MC was gay. Doesn't bother me - I think the story sounds great and love the cover!

    Congrats on the nomination - we're nominated too and are honored to be in such fabulous company!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always do my very best to return the favour :)

Please note that this blog is an award-free zone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover